Tough question about euthanasia

23 Jul 2010 17:40 #11 by Scooby72
Thanks again for all the support, critter people are the best. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

We are doing better, each day a bit less hard - Roxi is pretty down but we are taking her on lots of walks and lots of extra love. Dad and the kids have already said the word "puppy". Too soon for me, but we'll see, Roxi is pretty lonely.

Thanks again all, there isn't a ::big hug:: emoticon so I'll keep doing hearts. :)

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jul 2010 17:59 #12 by LopingAlong
If you get ready for a puppy soon, I am fostering some wonderful Labradoodles for IMHS. Maybe one is for you? They are very special and very cute and make me laugh every single day. They are only 6 weeks old now, so can't go to new homes until Aug 6. Holler and you are welcome to come visit--even if you don't want to adopt one. Nothing like good sweet puppy breath to help ease a hurtin' heart! :)

23 Jul 2010 19:35 #13 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Tough question about euthanasia
I have had the pleasure of meeting these amazing puppies. They will be great pets and companions. Lets make sure they have the best life we can help provide.

24 Jul 2010 10:05 #14 by RY
Replied by RY on topic Tough question about euthanasia

Scooby72 wrote:

The Viking wrote: I am so sorry for your loss. I had to do that a few years ago. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. But let me assure you that your heart will mend with time.

Euthanasia, in Greek it means "the good death"

Here is a few quotes I found that helped me.

"I am sending you on a journey to a land free from pain..not because I didn't love you but because I loved you too much to force you to stay."

"God's finger touched him, and he slept." (Alfred, Lord Tennyson)

From your dogs perspective....... Get a box of tissues. You showed your greatest act of love towards him.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Viking - this was one of the sweetest things I have read, I read it last night and just bawled. I'm not going to read it today while I'm at work or I'll lose it again. Thank you for sharing this, it eloquently explains the whole ordeal we go through and how important it is for us to let them go when it's time. /hug

first of all I am so sorry Scooby, you had to go through this. Second, I agree what wonderful comforting words from Viking. I had to put down my 10 week old puppy several years ago. he had parvo, he fought for a week in the animal hospital, it was heart wrenching and I made the mistake of not listening to the vets there when they told me to put him down earlier, I just couldn't do it, didn't want to feel like "God" making a life/death decision. It was wrong, he suffered so much that at the end there was no choice. I held him the entire time and felt him go limp. It was the most terrible thing I've gone through in my life, but I would do the same thing again (holding him), that was the least thing I could do and owed him. I will never forget how he looked at me one more last time and snuggled against me during his last few minutes...

24 Jul 2010 15:21 #15 by Wayne Harrison
We had to put down our last two dogs.

The first, Murphy, was so sick we didn't want to get him out of the car when we got to Lone Rock. The vet came out and gave him the shot as I cradled his head in my lap in the back seat. He died in my arms, rather than on a vet table.

The second one, a vet came out and gave him the shot while my wife held him in her arms.

Both of them just quit breathing and seemed to go to sleep. It was very peaceful.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds