Herding Hummingbirds?

21 Jul 2010 13:37 #1 by FredHayek
Have a little bit of a problem. Seems when my wife was filling up the hummingbird feeder, she left the window open and one flew in the house. How can we get it to fly back out?
Plus to make it worse, we have vaulted ceilings and he just wants to hang out in the rafters. Never goes back down to the open window.

I sure wish he would catch a clue and fly back outside. We even leave the room hoping he comes back down and out.

I was thinking about trying to throw a fishing net up in the air, but am worried he would get damaged if he got caught in it and fell back down.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jul 2010 15:05 #2 by pound dog mom
Replied by pound dog mom on topic Herding Hummingbirds?
Oh my... I have only had two get into my house over the years and fortunately, they both flew to a windowsill so that I could gently pick them up and open my hands to release them outside. Maybe if a feeder was hung right outside the door, the little guy might take off from the rafter to the feeder. He has to get hungry eventually (right?)

21 Jul 2010 15:21 #3 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Herding Hummingbirds?
Last time that happened we used a fishing net on a long pole. Gently. He had been in the house for a while so was getting tired, but once released outside he flew away

21 Jul 2010 15:29 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Herding Hummingbirds?
OK, sounds like good ideas, wait until he gets tired and try to catch him and release outside. I will also try to leave the door open. Hopefully no other birds get the wrong idea.

21 Jul 2010 18:57 #5 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Herding Hummingbirds?
(OFF TOPIC!!!!!!!!) My goodness you have a wife? You definitely need a little bit of breast surgery done to reduce some features, buddy.

Regards,
Major Bean

22 Jul 2010 12:26 #6 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Herding Hummingbirds?
Maybe those are hers? Would make an interesting wallet photo of the wife, but when you spend $6000, you should show off, right?

(Just kidding, she hasn't had surgery and those aren't her mammary glands.)

Update: leaving the sliding door open and retiring to the bedroom and the poor bird found his way out. I was really worried I would wind up with more birds.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds