New Neighbors and water use

10 Sep 2012 20:28 #1 by Local_Historian
Several of us in this neighborhood share the same water source for our wells.

We have new neighbors of about a month, and since they moved in, I cannot get my water tank above half full(300 gallons total for tank). We three are all taking camp showers, not doing laundry at home, running the dishwasher once a week, and still - no real water coming in. No else is doing anything new water wise; some are even using less like us.

New neighbors do NOT seem friendly - all we hear is them fighting, yelling at each other, their friends, their dog. Slamming stuff around seems a hobby. Not exactly approachable seeming. They are very much city folk.

How do we go over there and ask them to tone their water use down? Any advice is welcome - I should not be having to go buy water, but I am almost there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Sep 2012 21:21 #2 by Raees
Replied by Raees on topic New Neighbors and water use
Are you seeing any evidence of their excessive water use or just noticing that your problem is since they moved in?

10 Sep 2012 21:29 #3 by otisptoadwater
Is your well and equipment in good working order? Do you need to dig deeper and/or install a new pump? I'm just saying double check your own house before you go after a neighbor; at the same time it sounds like you already know the score and it's the new neighbors not you that are causing the water shortage.

I think you owe it to them to at least try to talk to them about it first but if they prove to be unapproachable then it's not your fault that they used so much water that the well went dry. If they won't talk to you about it then let the well go dry a couple of times (protect your pump!), maybe they will get the hint or maybe they will move out and go back down the hill.

As for the shouting and extraneous noise, you could always report suspected instances of domestic violence to local Law Enforcement. Again it should start with an attempt to discuss the issues first but if they don't want to talk or compromise then let the law help them decide if they want to stay where they are.

You could also bide your time (and join me in prayers for a record setting Winter that buries the Foothills and Front Range in snow all season long), let Mother Nature drive them back down to the flat lands. Between not being able to get a decent delivery pizza or Chinese and being so far from "the real world" maybe they'll pack up and go somewhere else.

To be fair I also have to wonder how much of the shortage of water is a reflection of the recent dry climate we have been suffering through. Could it be that there is less water in the aquifer simply because it has been so dry for so long?

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

11 Sep 2012 00:43 #4 by AlpineMike
We have had very recent problems with our well. A new well had to be drilled to resolve our lack of water. This is a tough and costly problem. It may be difficult to prove that any neighbors created well issues. Since we have drought issues, a well inspection and estimate for repair may be the only option for timely repair before the winter season.
Some investigation may be in order if you believe a neighbor and/or neighbors could be creating the water problems. Are they watering the "lawn", have a hot tub, swimming pool, or washing the car? If so, are they doing it legally?
Sorry to hear about your situation. My advice...get water stored and call well experts to help assess the situation.
A few things that will come up is...How deep, How old, and How often??? The average person with modern commodities uses over 64 gallons per day! Me...I estimate less than 150 gallons a week (strictly personal home usage). I'm a water freak! I think we are foolish to flush potable water down a toilet to flush 16-20 oz. of urine. We waste high quantities of drinking water everyday...it makes me sick.
Many people don't understand how a well works. Yes, people waste water. The only fix is conservation. The general public needs more education on HOW our resources (like water) are obtained. I know...I know...stay on subject.
I have had a dry well this summer...no fun. I'm thankful it happened now and not during the winter. Don't wait until the ground freezes to fix the well because it will be more expensive....if not impossible.
I'm not a well expert, but I have some experience living daily life without one....it's okay....but you will love it when it's back!

11 Sep 2012 00:58 #5 by AlpineMike
In the U.S., water use per person per day averages 64 gallons.
On average the American family uses 100 gallons of water a day in toilet flushing. [©Jupiter Images, 2009]
©Jupiter Images, 2009
On average the American family uses 100 gallons of water a day in toilet flushing.

64 gallons per day for the average American.

An American Family's Daily Water Consumption

Activity water use in gallons:
Link: http://topics.info.com/How-much-water-d ... ch-day_670
Toilet flushing: 100
Shower and bathing: 80
Laundry: 35
Dishwashing: 15
Bathroom sink: 8
Utility sink: 5
TOTAL: 243

11 Sep 2012 08:11 #6 by akilina
Replied by akilina on topic New Neighbors and water use
A few neighbors are experiencing water problems.

Sorry about yours LH and AM.

And yet some continue to water their flowers, wash their cars, etc. Where is the common sense?

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

11 Sep 2012 09:04 #7 by RenegadeCJ

AlpineMike wrote: In the U.S., water use per person per day averages 64 gallons.
On average the American family uses 100 gallons of water a day in toilet flushing. [©Jupiter Images, 2009]
©Jupiter Images, 2009
On average the American family uses 100 gallons of water a day in toilet flushing.

64 gallons per day for the average American.

An American Family's Daily Water Consumption

Activity water use in gallons:
Link: http://topics.info.com/How-much-water-d ... ch-day_670
Toilet flushing: 100
Shower and bathing: 80
Laundry: 35
Dishwashing: 15
Bathroom sink: 8
Utility sink: 5
TOTAL: 243

I say no way to these #'s...except for extreme water hogs. Yard watering is the biggest waste.
These numbers, assuming a 1.5 gal flush toilet, mean the toilet gets flushed 67 times/day???
Laundry, I can believe that for one day, but if an average, that means 245 gal/week. My machine isn't close to that.
Dishwashing? Again, that would be 2-3 loads/day??

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds