First car?

25 Jul 2010 12:15 #11 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic First car?
I didn't get my first car - of my own, no one else attached to it - until I divorced in 1991. I got an 81 toyota pickup that I abused for several years, and then gave to my dad when we moved to Iowa, and he killed it trying to help tow a Winnebago out of a ditch - can you say dead transmission?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jul 2010 14:10 #12 by Nic at Night
Replied by Nic at Night on topic First car?
Olds Super 88, 1960, free, gas was 25 cents a gallon a buck got us cruising all night.

25 Jul 2010 14:24 #13 by mozartsmom
Replied by mozartsmom on topic First car?
1979 Chevy Chevette, am radio, no a/c, 4 on the floor, rear wheel drive, Can't remember the total price but loan payment was $87.60 per month with $1000. down.

25 Jul 2010 15:14 #14 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic First car?
1969 Chevy Impala. With a '66 283 engine, and glass pack cherry bomb muffler, purred like a kitten.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

25 Jul 2010 16:58 #15 by RY
Replied by RY on topic First car?
mine was a Fiat 500 (cinquecento), red, looked like a lady bug... I paid for it myself with my first few salaries (and $20 from grandpa)

25 Jul 2010 21:24 #16 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic First car?
A Datsun B2-10. It was so cute and great fun!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

26 Jul 2010 08:57 #17 by ComputerBreath
Replied by ComputerBreath on topic First car?
196? MG convertible with 2 6-volt batteries...unfortunately the guy I bought it from let it sit for a while without starting it and by the time I found 6-volt batteries, the engine was frozen. Bummer!! 1st one that was drivable was a 1978 Chevy Salon with t-tops that leaked.

26 Jul 2010 10:01 #18 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic First car?
1959 MGA roadster. yep had the 2 batteries one fell out driving down the road. Replaced it with a single 12V the damn thing was positive ground. If I was just by myself I could just stick my surfboard in the passenger compartment. I could swap out the engine in a couple of hours, but I never could get the hang of adjusting the SU carburetors, so even as a poor college student I had to take it into the MG Jaguar dealer. Somebody before I had the car had installed an exhaust cutout so you open up the exhaust. That made for some late night twisty road fun. I beat the hell out of that car. Onetime the rear bracket that supported the muffler broke which caused part of the exhaust pipe to rotate and press up against the floorboard. The MG had wooden floorboards. So I’m driving along and all of a sudden smoke is coming up from under the seat between my legs. I pull over, pull up the seat and see smoke and flames, my car is on fire. I am in the middle of nowhere, no water, no phone, no fire extinguisher. Only option was available, I had to use what liquid god gave me, I peed on my car. I had a lot of fun with that car.

26 Jul 2010 10:45 #19 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic First car?
Used white 1991 Pontiac Sunbird sedan with a blue interior and the checkerboard taillights that my parents were nice enough to buy for me halfway through my first year of college - they didn't want to have to come get me every time I needed to come home! I loved that car - I sped constantly and never got pulled over, I gave directions to people based on minutes to a landmark as opposed to miles! Sadly, some crappy mechanics killed her transmission 6 years after getting her, I cried when leaving her to be scrapped. Then went and bought my first car, a used gold Saturn SL1 sedan.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds