My Favorite Boss got fired

29 Nov 2012 09:41 #1 by LOL

My boss, the best guy I've ever had the pleasure to work for, was fired today.

Copied from another thread. Has this ever happened to you?

Alternatively, I've seen several instances where a co-worker I butted heads with got promoted to manager too. LOL

I once had a boss get fired that most everyone in the group respected and it was pretty much a shocker. Gone at noon on Friday and nobody ever got a chance to say goodbye. And everyone pretty much hated the replacement boss.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Nov 2012 10:14 #2 by cydl
Replied by cydl on topic My Favorite Boss got fired
We had this happen several times at our company now. The company started with a small group of people who were passionate about the business and treated their employees as full partners in making the business go. Now that the business is successful and growing the emphasis has shifted to the bean-counter mentality. One by one the folks who got the business on it's feet are being shoved out by more "corporate" types.

I think the rebranding of "Personnel" to "Human Resources" says it all...

29 Nov 2012 10:44 #3 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic My Favorite Boss got fired
Yep, I actually saw one case where the original founder of the company was gradually pushed aside, ignored and eventually left after the company went public and brought in new execs.

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

03 Dec 2012 08:42 #4 by cydl
More good news this morning. One of the lower mgmt. monkeys accidentally let it slip that the rest of us will be outsourced after the first of the year.

03 Dec 2012 09:13 #5 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic My Favorite Boss got fired
Try and stay in touch with your former favorite boss if you can. I have found work several times with former bosses in their new companies. Good luck.

03 Dec 2012 09:41 #6 by cydl
I actually talked with him this morning. He's thinking of getting out of IT altogether and into health care, but he's on the fence. I came on board here as a contract to hire thru an agency and have been in touch w/them on a regular basis. If it comes to pass I'll just give them a call - I have a bit of a standing offer with them.

If it does happen I'll have to start a pool w/my coworkers - how long it takes them to have to call one of us for an explanation of something about which they have no clue. It'll be a hoot!

05 Dec 2012 07:30 #7 by RCCL
Replied by RCCL on topic My Favorite Boss got fired
I was once mid-project on a huge reorganization (in IT, actually!) that was going to help revolutionize how a business handled its global datacenters, we'd drawn up the plans... put all the paperwork together... my Director and I were going to present the plan to the upper management the next week on Monday.

I came in on Monday morning, worked like normal, got on the call... and was informed that my Director had been let go just a few hours before the call. I tried and tried to get the project going again with new directors, but could never again get the backing I needed to really present it.

Three years, ten months, and eight days later (yes, I was counting!), the company had made all the changes we were planning on making in a six month period. It was estimated to save nearly $12M a year, and the average expenses in the department decreased by just about $10M over the next year from the year when we planned the budget.

Firing one of the best bosses I ever had cost the company nearly $30 million, and they'll never acknowledge it unfortunately. After the "big announcement" of where we'd gotten to over those (nearly) four years, I sent the new VP an e-mail with the attached plans, thoughts, documents, projected budgets, etc,. that my boss and I had put together. I'm not even sure she read it.

I still miss that boss, and we still talk. He and I are around the same level now, and we both still have a great deal of respect for each other.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds