If you are seeing smoke. Lausanne Fire. Pine

03 Feb 2013 14:43 #11 by FOS
You are correct about the location.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Feb 2013 18:41 - 19 Sep 2016 01:37 #12 by pacamom
I heard all the sirens. Good thing I live 1.7 miles away. Not close enough for an emergency alert notification call.

05 Feb 2013 09:11 #13 by otterdog
so what ever happened with this fire?

05 Feb 2013 09:18 - 19 Sep 2016 01:38 #14 by ScienceChic
They got it contained and put out within 4 hours of the start of the call, it looks like it got to about 5 acres in size before they were able to contain it. I don't see in the log that any structures were lost so it must've been all vegetation that burned. Luckily the wind wasn't strong that day.

www.disastersupportvolunteers.com/d7/con...sh-fire-lausanne-cir

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Feb 2013 09:47 #15 by otterdog
Thank you, Science Chic!
Sure is scary having fires so early!

05 Feb 2013 09:48 #16 by ScienceChic
You're welcome!

Yes, yes it is. :(:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Feb 2013 10:01 #17 by otterdog
And I just found the link to the fire news on the home page so now I know where to go in the future (disaster support link). We may need that link a lot this season (but hope not).

09 Feb 2013 10:15 - 19 Sep 2016 01:39 #18 by LOL
News article on Pine fire- www.hightimbertimes.com/content/blaze-scorches-5-acres-pine

"The fire burned through 5 acres of private land before it was contained, according to Elk Creek Fire Chief Bill McLaughlin. No structures were damaged.
“We had three brush trucks and two tenders on scene with 16 firefighters,” McLaughlin said.
He added that crews from the Platte Canyon Fire Department and the North Fork Volunteer Fire Department assisted.
“It was reported that (the fire) was started by discarded fireplace ashes,” McLaughlin said"

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

09 Feb 2013 10:31 #19 by ScienceChic
Sheepishly, I have admit that I've done that - put ashes in a bag that I thought were out and really weren't. Luckily, we put them in our garage and it only caused smoke damage.

Fire prevention education is key: make sure you put ashes in a metal bucket, preferably with a lid, for at least 4 days, and douse them with water too. It is way too dry, and too easily spread to other homes, to have fires start this way. Make sure you get your chimney's cleaned too!

09 Feb 2013 10:50 #20 by LOL
I melted a small plastic wastebucket once. Now I use metal coffee cans and leave them on the concrete by the stove.

I find the woodstove works better full of ash anyway, so I don't clean it out often. Also Aspen leaves alot of ash, more than Pine IMO

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds