If you are seeing smoke. Lausanne Fire. Pine

09 Feb 2013 11:10 #21 by Blazer Bob

LOL wrote: I melted a small plastic wastebucket once. Now I use metal coffee cans and leave them on the concrete by the stove.

I find the woodstove works better full of ash anyway, so I don't clean it out often. Also Aspen leaves alot of ash, more than Pine IMO

Leaving 1 too 2 inches of ash is recommended by many manufacturers. Some stoves do have combustion air inlets towards the bottom front and/or back. They should be keep clear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Feb 2013 20:56 #22 by Blazer Bob
The above pertains to wood stoves. This to fireplaces.

"Ash in moderation
February 4, 2013

For all of a wood fire’s beauty, it sure leaves an ugly, dirty mess behind in your fireplace.

Ash, that consistent by-product of wood burning, is unsightly and can create a mess as it builds up in your fireplace or wood stove.

This is why the tendency of most homeowners is to sweep away ash from their fireplace with regularity.

Of course, it’s important that homeowners follow specific steps when removing ash from the fireplace or stove to reduce the risk of fire.

But it’s also important to know that you don’t need to clean ash away after every fire. In fact, a little ash is a good thing.".....................

http://chimneysafety.wordpress.com/2013 ... oderation/

12 Feb 2013 18:35 #23 by LOL

Blazer Bob wrote:

LOL wrote: I melted a small plastic wastebucket once. Now I use metal coffee cans and leave them on the concrete by the stove.

I find the woodstove works better full of ash anyway, so I don't clean it out often. Also Aspen leaves alot of ash, more than Pine IMO

Leaving 1 too 2 inches of ash is recommended by many manufacturers. Some stoves do have combustion air inlets towards the bottom front and/or back. They should be keep clear.

Good tips Bob. My stove has the vents above the door. It seems to work fine.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds