High Plains Food Co-op now has Bailey & Evgn pickup sites!

08 Mar 2013 12:33 - 27 Aug 2013 10:42 #1 by kenti2009
I hope this will stir up a lot of interest!!
I have been asked by High Plains Food Co-op to be their volunteer route manager for the mountain area, creating a monthly pickup site in Bailey. High Plains Food Co-op is sort of like a CSA, except they offer locally produced, sustainable, natural/organic meats, eggs, dairy, produce, breads, and much more, but you buy exactly what you want and nothing you don't!! I have been buying their products for almost a year now and the quality is unmatched. We won't buy meat from anywhere else. The bacon is to DIE for!! :biggrin:
From their site:

"HPFC is a grassroots network of High Plains and Rocky Mountain Front Range producers and consumers uniting interests in locally grown food and other locally made products. The HPFC strives to be a business that is environmentally sustainable, economically viable, and socially just. To foster a local food community and promote a culture of stewardship by cultivating farmer-consumer relationships, promoting the enjoyment of healthful food, increasing food security through diversity, and enhancing overall rural sustainability."

If you're interested, here's how it works. You pay a yearly $40 fee to be a member of the co-op. You don't have to order every month if you don't want to. Orders open on the 1st of the month, at which time you can go on their site and open a shopping basket. Place whatever you want to buy in there. There is no checkout, that shopping basket will remain there until orders close on the second Thursday of the month. You can add or remove items till then as you please, if they're in your basket they're reserved for you until you take them out. When orders close, whatever is in your basket is your order. If you have meats, the producers will update your price with the actual weights, and pickup day is the third Thursday of the month. You can pay for your order by paypal once your invoice is complete with all the weights, or bring a check when you pickup.
The Bailey pickup site will be in the Crow Hill Bible Church parking lot from 5-5:30pm on the third Thursday of the month. The Evergreen pickup site will be at Evergreen Fire Rescue Station 2 parking lot at 1802 Bergen Parkway from 3:30 to 4pm on the third Thursday of the month. I have no way to store perishables, so if you don't show up, food will be donated.
If you go onto their site, http://highplainsfood.org " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can get all kinds of information, including checking out their current list of available products, although you can't place an order until you become a member. Orders for March are open till 3/14, so there's still time to join to order for this month!! I highly recommend this stuff, I accepted this route because I think all of us up here ought to have access to local, natural foods.
This month's pickup day will be 3/21. Feel free to post here or send me a message!!
Check back to this thread for updates as we get closer to delivery day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Mar 2013 12:47 #2 by ScienceChic
That sounds fantastic kenti, thank you for sharing the info! I'm amazed at the variety available for sale, I'm glad to see this offered!

This co-op wouldn't by chance be interested in participating in a Farmer's Market in Bailey, would they? :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

08 Mar 2013 13:13 #3 by kenti2009
You know, I could check, but I'm not sure. They have a truck and collect the products from the producers all over Kansas, Colorado, and Nebraska once a month according to the orders, then drive the truck to Denver where all the route managers meet to pick up orders for their area. Lots of it is perishable, but maybe I can work out something with some of the non-perishable stuff?

08 Mar 2013 13:21 - 08 Mar 2013 13:25 #4 by JMC
This sounds a lot like Door to door organics, except you pick it up. Am i correct? Great service and wish you the best, we need more like you. Cash okay?

08 Mar 2013 13:22 #5 by ScienceChic
That would be awesome! We had one farmer at the last 2 MarketDayz in Bailey last year, but they couldn't bring enough for the demand. Indian Hills Farmers Market is going to partner with the Chambers for MarketDayz in Conifer this year, but I haven't chatted with them yet if they are able and/or willing to do Bailey as well. I don't think 2 sources is too much for our corridor though - we've got a lot of people to serve! Please do let me know, and we'll get started on the details of planning! MarketDayz is one Saturday/month per location and goes from June-August, but if it's going well, we can add on more months/Saturdays. Feel free to PM me if you'd like, I'm the Chair of the 285 Tourism Committee with the Conifer & Platte Canyon Chambers of Commerce and I'm already organizing this year's schedule with the rest of our team. Thanks!!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

08 Mar 2013 13:33 #6 by kenti2009
Perhaps we could do a booth with some food samples and sign people up for the co-op? Only members can order - the annual fee keeps the co-op running, since its completely volunteer-run. I would hate to deny them their fees, you know? It pays for the truck runs and such. I will contact some of the closer-located producers though and see if they want to do a booth or send me some food to do one for them.

08 Mar 2013 13:35 #7 by kenti2009

drop out wrote: This sounds a lot like Door to door organics, except you pick it up. Am i correct? Great service and wish you the best, we need more like you. Cash okay?

I'm not familiar with door to door, sorry. Thanks for your kind words! Payment has to be paypal prior to picking up from me and bring me the receipt or check made out to HFPC handed to me at time of pickup - since I have to mail payments to HFPC after pickup day, they don't want anyone collecting cash.

09 Mar 2013 21:17 #8 by kenti2009
Some examples of what you can order from HPFC (not a complete list by any means):
Beef, chicken, pork - every cut you can imagine from steaks to sausage - you can even buy whole roasting pigs!
Goat and lamb meat
Yak meat (awesome stuff!)
Aquaponically grown lettuces
Garlic powder - actually ground by the producer that grew it - no additives
Sheep's milk and cheeses
Varying kinds of produce with the season
Multiple producers of eggs (duck eggs too)
Baked goods of all kinds, even homemade hamburger buns and tortillas
Herbs, dry and fresh
Many different kinds of fresh-ground flour and cornmeal

14 Mar 2013 11:28 #9 by kenti2009
If you signed up, March orders close today at midnight - so make sure your online cart contains everything you want for next week's pickup!

20 Mar 2013 06:22 #10 by kenti2009
Don't forget pickup day is Thursday (tomorrow), 4-5pm at the Crow Hill Bible church parking lot! If you ordered, you can pay by paypal if you login and go to the Shopping tab, then to view invoice. The button at the bottom of your invoice will allow you to link up to paypal from there. Be sure to print your receipt and bring to the pickup! Or, just bring a check for the total made out to High Plains Food Co-op.
Also, the co-op will give you one free insulated tote with your first order (its about the size of a reusable grocery tote). If you ordered more than a bag-ful, be sure to bring your own bags, boxes, or coolers, as those that I will have belong to the co-op and must be offloaded and returned.
See you there!!

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds