May 18th-19th Staunton State Park Grand Opening!

18 May 2013 17:30 #11 by pineinthegrass
I dropped by this afternoon and the park looks really nice!

I walked by the ponds and there were three of them all man made with earthen dams. Based on the vegetation it looks like they've been there a long time though I think they added streams going over the dams for looks (may of just been pipes before, but not sure).

The ponds are a good size for fishing. A license is required and there are no boats or swimming allowed.

The pond trail is more like a small road and they had a mini shuttle running on it.

I didn't have time to try the other trails yet, but will soon. Other than the 2 mile pond loop, the other trails are quite a bit longer I think they will be popular for mountain bikers (bikes not allowed on the 2 mile loop). There is apparently rock climbing available about 1.8 miles from the top parking area.

They do charge $7 per vehicle, though it's free this weekend. We'll see how that goes because most of the other Jeffco parks are free. Since I live near by I'll probably opt for the $70 yearly rate, but it's only good for one specific vehicle ($35 for a second vehicle). I wish you could get a card to swap between vehicles.

Nice views of Lions Head and Mt Evans. From the Denver Post photos the waterfall looks nice too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 May 2013 17:55 #12 by Local_Historian
The fee is because this is a state park, not a county park. And technically, it's in two different counties.

According to the history hike guides today, the ONLY spot currently open for climbing is parts of Staunton Rocks, due to raptor nesting right now.(The ranger station will tell you what is closed.) The rest will open later. And the trail to Elk Falls is not yet completed. Oh, and they REALLY want people to stay on the trails. But we know how that works.

A woman on the shuttle was telling me she saw some kids yank some 8-10 inch fish out of the ponds- pretty good size.

I wrote one article on today's opening - http://www.examiner.com/article/staunto ... pens-today and I'll be tossing another up on the history of the park later this weekend, as well as putting all my pics from the History Hike on my blog. I'll post that link once they are up.

18 May 2013 18:05 #13 by pineinthegrass

Local_Historian wrote: The fee is because this is a state park, not a county park. And technically, it's in two different counties.

According to the history hike guides today, the ONLY spot currently open for climbing is parts of Staunton Rocks, due to raptor nesting right now.(The ranger station will tell you what is closed.) The rest will open later. And the trail to Elk Falls is not yet completed. Oh, and they REALLY want people to stay on the trails. But we know how that works.

A woman on the shuttle was telling me she saw some kids yank some 8-10 inch fish out of the ponds- pretty good size.

I wrote one article on today's opening - http://www.examiner.com/article/staunto ... pens-today and I'll be tossing another up on the history of the park later this weekend, as well as putting all my pics from the History Hike on my blog. I'll post that link once they are up.

Thanks for the correction. I was about to correct it too because I just realized it is Staunton State Park. They did have a sign at the upper parking lot saying 1.8 miles to rocks (forget if it said rock climbing).

I think it's safe to assume the $70 annual pass is good for other state parks too, otherwise it wouldn't make much sense buying it for just Staunton Park.

One thing the park is missing are intermediate length trails and loops of 3-5 miles or so. After the 2.15 mile Davis Pond loop the next shortest loop is 6-8.7 miles (hard to tell from the map). That is something I might do a few times a year, but not regularly as a hike. But the longer trails would be nice for mountain bikes. So hopefully the pass is good for all state parks.

18 May 2013 18:25 #14 by pacamom
From the State park website

"Yearly Park Passes provide admittance to any of the 42 Colorado State Parks for one year from the month of purchase. Please keep the peel-off backing from the pass as your receipt to purchase reduced-price multiple passes for additional vehicles. It will also serve as a receipt for the purchase of a replacement pass.

PLEASE NOTE: You cannot use your receipt as valid entrance into parks. If you need to use your pass within 7-10 business days please purchase your pass in person at any park or agent location.

Price: $70.00 "

http://parksstore.state.co.us/p-2-2013-annual-pass.aspx

They also have several different kinds of passes - senior, disabled, low income.

19 May 2013 14:37 #15 by Jekyll
My parents live back in the subdivision there and they are on the fence about the opening of this park. Myself? I'm more negative on the subject. The road leading from 285 (N Elk Creek) is narrow and blind in more than several spots for about a mile and people CONSTANTLY speed and blow the corners. Myself and family have almost been hit multiple times. The influx of traffic and people not familiar with the area will make this worse, imo. I can only hope and pray that people I know personally aren't involved in any of the impending accidents. Then allowing campfires next year (I think that's what it is) when bans aren't in effect? I'm not even going to berate that. How many forest fires do we need to have before official areas such as Staunton State Park don't have the eventual option or ban camp fires all together and not even put in fire rings? Jiminey christmas.
I used to hike around in Staunton when it was closed to the public. Obviously the lack of traffic was awesome. No chances for people to trash it out, let dogs defecate everywhere or torch the place up like the scarecrow. I understand people need an outlet to the outdoors, but that area is my home, and my parents home, and opening it up as another big attraction worries me and makes me uncomfortable. There's tons of home not a mile from the park. It's not the middle of nowhere. Mt. Evans State Wildlife Area is a lot more rural than that.
But enough on the rant.

pineinthegrass wrote: I dropped by this afternoon and the park looks really nice!

I walked by the ponds and there were three of them all man made with earthen dams. Based on the vegetation it looks like they've been there a long time though I think they added streams going over the dams for looks (may of just been pipes before, but not sure).

The ponds are a good size for fishing. A license is required and there are no boats or swimming allowed.

Nice views of Lions Head and Mt Evans. From the Denver Post photos the waterfall looks nice too.

Years ago before all this new development, I used to walk my dog by those ponds. There did used to be pipes running through to help distribute overflow, but now I'm assuming that it looks more natriale without them. Yes the ponds have been there a long time, I think they were used for irrigation because I helped dig out some of the ditches leading from there a long time ago. Prolly got filled in and are grass covered by now. Pretty cool. There used to be a dump to the east of the ponds (I think East, basically going back into the trees FROM the ponds) that had tons of old soup cans, corroded tools, etc etc. Something like you might find at an old mine site. That was really sweet, but I feel like they prolly cleaned that up too cause it could definitely be a tetnis disaster, hahahaha. As far as the waterfall, I've been up there a thousand times, and it is EXTREMELY nice man. You'll enjoy that. When I worked for the Parks (during which time I had dug out those "irrigation ditches") I hiked up to the top of Lions Head. There's a miniature forest recessed in the "head" of the mountain and it's dern near mystical. Mountain lions love it for obvious reasons and yes, there's a TON of raptors that like to nest. Lots of snowshoe hare up there as well as the usual suspects, ie; deer, fox, bear, coon, etc. The road leading up the "neck" of lions head has a nice ranger cabin and there's another small lake that it sits on. So freakin' cool man. Reminiscing like this is what makes me against opening it up for hundreds and thousands of people every year. It will deteriorate and eventually be urbanized. Maybe I'm just borrowing trouble, but I'm really worried. In the meantime, enjoy the park and for the love of pete, be careful, be safe and most of all, be respectfull. Thank you and good day.

19 May 2013 15:45 #16 by deltamrey
The locals that live here will be respectful mostly....the dregs that run up here from Denver.....well we see those problems all the time in summer. 285 is a traffic disaster already and an additional 10000 + cars on the weekends will be a massive issue.......we will sell a little gas and a burger or two.....otherwise this will not be pleasant for locals. Also the "visitors will wander out of the park and unless the lands adjacent are posted you cannot keep them off.......do this ASAP.

Correct me if wrong, this is the ONLY State park on the Prouder River, 285, or I70 corridors........once discovered the load will be huge. Goodby Paradise....

19 May 2013 15:54 #17 by deltamrey
Hey Jekyll.....there is another way into the Park......Go the the end of Parker.....three ponds (not posted) also....good fishing BTW. A back road off Parker leads to the park....it was meant as a service road, but if not posted it may be a good place to enter......the locals there have been prepared for this for many years......and not too happy. May want to check with ranger to see if a good way to avoid Elk Creek Traffic. Sooner or later this will be fully open.....I see massive traffic problems otherwise.......beautiful area. IF you build it they will surely come......

19 May 2013 16:16 #18 by homeagain
UNFORTUNATELY, this is NOT Alaska......this park is EXTREMELY close to a Huge metropolitan city(getting larger as the years roll by)
and THAT will take it's toll....(I saw Sedona...Slide Rock.....rapidly deteriorate,because the masses did NOT respect the land)....I,too,
believe 285 will be unbearable once this park gets into FULL swing thru the summer months and BEYOND....Colorado has become the
NEW California dreamin'.....JMO

19 May 2013 17:15 #19 by Jekyll

homeagain wrote: UNFORTUNATELY, this is NOT Alaska......this park is EXTREMELY close to a Huge metropolitan city(getting larger as the years roll by)
and THAT will take it's toll....(I saw Sedona...Slide Rock.....rapidly deteriorate,because the masses did NOT respect the land)....I,too,
believe 285 will be unbearable once this park gets into FULL swing thru the summer months and BEYOND....Colorado has become the
NEW California dreamin'.....JMO

:yeahthat: :thumbsup:

deltamrey wrote: Hey Jekyll.....there is another way into the Park......Go the the end of Parker.....three ponds (not posted) also....good fishing BTW. A back road off Parker leads to the park....it was meant as a service road, but if not posted it may be a good place to enter......the locals there have been prepared for this for many years......and not too happy. May want to check with ranger to see if a good way to avoid Elk Creek Traffic. Sooner or later this will be fully open.....I see massive traffic problems otherwise.......beautiful area. IF you build it they will surely come......

Thanks for the heads up deltamrey, a true friend. :happier:

deltamrey wrote: The locals that live here will be respectful mostly....the dregs that run up here from Denver.....well we see those problems all the time in summer. 285 is a traffic disaster already and an additional 10000 + cars on the weekends will be a massive issue.......we will sell a little gas and a burger or two.....otherwise this will not be pleasant for locals. Also the "visitors will wander out of the park and unless the lands adjacent are posted you cannot keep them off.......do this ASAP.

Correct me if wrong, this is the ONLY State park on the Prouder River, 285, or I70 corridors........once discovered the load will be huge. Goodby Paradise....

:yeahthat: I'm not the type to actively protest this park, I WANT people to be able to enjoy the outdoors, but I'm afraid the consequences are going to outweight the benefit. My hat is off to those that agree with me and to those that will stay vigilant for those that might step on the face of our community. Take it easy guys, and discussion is definitely warranted in these waters. Thanks ya'll.

20 May 2013 12:19 #20 by Photo-fish
I thought part of the planning was not just to improve the 285/Elk Crek road access but to also improve the road up to where it enters the park. Is that still planned cuz that road is very narrow and winding.

They did quite a bit of mitigation and tree removal in previous years to reduce wildfires. I thought camp fires were only allowed in designated campsites with fire rings and would NOT be allowed in the primitive areas. Is this still true?

I don't think you will be able to enter the park by way of the back access. I thought this was more for maintenance and emergency use only (gotta pay the use fee ya know).

Jekyll wrote: I'm not the type to actively protest this park, I WANT people to be able to enjoy the outdoors, but I'm afraid the consequences are going to outweight the benefit. My hat is off to those that agree with me and to those that will stay vigilant for those that might step on the face of our community. Take it easy guys, and discussion is definitely warranted in these waters. Thanks ya'll.

For sure this will effect the ever increasing traffic on 285. The test will come this Friday and next Tuesday when the Memorial Day crowds hit the roads.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds