Future Funding Level - Elk Creek Fire Wants Your Input

• Mountain Folk
  • Mountain Folk
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Birthdate: Unknown
ElkCreekFireDepartment created the topic: Future Funding Level - Elk Creek Fire Wants Your Input 24 May 2013 18:22 #1

Please take a moment to read the letter below then fill out this survey - we appreciate your feedback.

Thank you,
Elk Creek Fire Protection District

Letter also at this link: http://www.elkcreekfire.org/ECFD/Welcom ... 282%29.pdf

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Mountain Legend
  • Mountain Legend
Jekyll replied the topic: Future Funding Level - Elk Creek Fire Wants Your Input 27 May 2013 15:44 #2

When the time (ever) comes I'll vote yes guys (Elk Creek Fire). Also did the survey and I appreciate ya'll very much. A great fire department fer sures. :memorial:

• Mountain Legend
  • Mountain Legend
  • Thank you received: 26
homeagain replied the topic: Future Funding Level - Elk Creek Fire Wants Your Input 27 May 2013 16:02 #3

Being in Parkco, unfortunately my vote is not valid,HOWEVER, since the mountain is in jeopardy I WILL be supporting your efforts.....because we are ALL in this together when the wildfires arrive (and they WILL arrive). We,here on the mountain, are VERY
aware of your hard work and COURAGE when facing the flames of hell......and we LOVE YOU for putting yourself in harms way to save
our homes..... :goodjob:  :Thanks:

• Mountain Legend
  • Mountain Legend
Jekyll replied the topic: Future Funding Level - Elk Creek Fire Wants Your Input 27 May 2013 16:42 #4

homeagain wrote: Being in Parkco, unfortunately my vote is not valid,HOWEVER, since the mountain is in jeopardy I WILL be supporting your efforts.....because we are ALL in this together when the wildfires arrive (and they WILL arrive). We,here on the mountain, are VERY
aware of your hard work and COURAGE when facing the flames of hell......and we LOVE YOU for putting yourself in harms way to save
our homes..... :goodjob:  :Thanks:

:yeahthat: :thumbsup:

• Mountain Champion
  • Mountain Champion
  • Thank you received: 160
  • Birthdate: 31 Oct 2012
ScienceChic replied the topic: Future Funding Level - Elk Creek Fire Wants Your Input 29 May 2013 13:58 #5

Thanks guys!

If you haven't filled out the survey yet, please do!

The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Your scars exist, but it’s your courage that defines you. ~Nalini Singh

• Mountain Folk
  • Mountain Folk
ElkCreekFireDepartment replied the topic: Future Funding Level - Elk Creek Fire Wants Your Input 09 Jun 2013 18:43 #6

If you haven't filled out the very brief survey, please take a moment and do so - we value your input greatly! We have a meeting this coming Thursday at Station 1, 11993 Blackfoot Rd at 6pm and you are all welcome to attend.

Thank you,
Elk Creek Fire

http://www.elkcreekfire.org/ECFD/Welcom ... 282%29.pdf

• Mountain Champion
  • Mountain Champion
  • Thank you received: 160
  • Birthdate: 31 Oct 2012
ScienceChic replied the topic: Future Funding Level - Elk Creek Fire Wants Your Input 21 Jun 2013 08:40 #7

Hey All! I haven't had time to process last week's video of the BOD meeting yet, but they have extended the deadline on the survey - please go fill it out if you haven't yet. It's important that everyone's voice is heard and they get an accurate representation of the community.

They did mention that the preliminary results are showing that the majority of survey responders are in favor of supporting the department with a mill levy, just fyi.

The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Your scars exist, but it’s your courage that defines you. ~Nalini Singh

• Mountain Folk
  • Mountain Folk
ElkCreekFireDepartment replied the topic: Future Funding Level - Elk Creek Fire Wants Your Input 04 Jul 2013 15:57 #8

Dear Friends of Elk Creek,

Early on Saturday morning, June 15, I printed a stack of Friends of Elk Creek flyers, and headed off to volunteer for slash collection at the Conifer High School.

Throughout the day I talked with residents as we unloaded their trucks and trailers. I told them about the challenges facing Elk Creek Fire Department: rising costs, shrinking income and outdated equipment.

I explained that if Elk Creek were unable to get a mill levy increase approved, we’d be forced to close Station 3 on Conifer Mountain. It turned out a lot of the people I was helping lived on Conifer Mountain. They understood what the closure would mean to them, but I explained how losing the station would reduce Elk Creek Fire Department’s overall firefighting capacity, which would trigger an insurance rating downgrade not just for Conifer Mountain, but the entire community.

I expressed my concerns about the homeowner’s insurance premium increases we’d all face, as I shared the Friends of Elk Creek flyer with them. The flyer helped illustrate the costs for homeowners based on the value of their homes and allowed them to compare costs of a mill levy increase to those of a premium increase.

For example if the mill levy were approved, the owner of a home valued at $336,000 would pay less than $67 in additional taxes per year, whereas they’d face an insurance premium increase of $236 (or more) if it were to fail.

As soon as we started looking at dollar and cents, almost to a person, everyone was on board. I heard comments such as, “well, we’re not going to let that (closing Station 3) happen,” and “fire protection is something you just can’t afford not to have.”

I touched on the fact that a property insurance rate increase would not only make homes and businesses in our district more expensive to own, but it would also make them more difficult to sell. An insurance rating downgrade would cost us money today, but it would also discourage growth and investment in our community in the future.

Through the course of the day, after speaking with at least one hundred people, I had only found two residents who were less than enthusiastic in their support for the measure.
By days end, I was tired and dirty, but very optimistic that this initiative will be successful. This means a great deal to me as a resident, homeowner and volunteer firefighter.

I hope everyone will take the time to get the facts, and please don’t just take my word for it. Do your own research, confirm for yourself that even with the proposed mill levy increase, Elk Creek Fire Protection District will still have the lowest mill levy rate in Jefferson County. Talk to your insurance agent, ask how a reduction in firefighting capability would affect your insurance premiums (or your ability to get property insurance at all).

If you do this, I’m confident that like me, you’ll support the mill levy increase. And hopefully you’ll want to share what you’ve learned with neighbors, friends and family.

Thank you,
Michael Davis
Elk Creek Firefighter, Public Information Officer

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds