Elk Creek Fire Mill Levy-Learn More. Info/Upcoming Meetings

30 Sep 2013 18:48 #11 by MountainGirl44
Walter...I see that you got an answer to your question. For everyone else, when I worked up the approximate rate increases, I did my homework. I used some of my actual customers that I insure up here and changed their Fire Protection classes with all of my companies (Travelers, Safeco, Hartford, State Auto, Secura, Acuity) so that I could come up with accurate figures. I used a cross section of at least 5 clients for each housing value. These clients actually had good risk factors (good credit, good claims history, etc) so this is conservative. Folks with higher risk factors (bad credit, previous home claims, etc) will see higher rate increases. I wish I could say it was different, but it is not. Opponents keep saying that the only thing that matters is the amount of brush around your home. This is important but it is only one factor. Slope of your land, your proximity to forested area, miles to the fire station, if water can be brought to the scene quickly, access to water near your home, etc. all factor in as well. No matter what, if a fire station has to close or we lose some of our good rating, insurance rates WILL go up. It won't matter that you have a 75 foot perimeter around your home, your rate will go up simply because the capability of transporting water or the distance to the fire station has changed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Oct 2013 07:53 #12 by Venturer
As stated in another thread, insurance rates are going up whether you vote the increase or not. And the task force will be assessing a huge fee from taxpayers to support fire districts.

Read the report from the Wildfire Task Force
http://cdn.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?bl ... inary=true

01 Oct 2013 10:30 #13 by ASaferConifer
We, the Friends of Elk Creek Fire, a citizen's issue group formed to raise awareness about the upcoming mill levy ballot issue for the Elk Creek Fire Protection District, invite you to attend a public community meeting to learn more about this issue. It will take place Wednesday October 2 at Conifer High School from 7-8:30pm. We will have one hour of related presentations by various speakers listed on the flyer below, then we open it up for questions for the last half hour. We look forward to meeting you!

The Friends of Elk Creek Fire

File Attachment:

PO Box 353, Conifer, CO 80433
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
A Safer Conifer Facebook Page

01 Oct 2013 13:17 #14 by Venturer
Would like to join you and fire off a few missile shots but that is past my bedtime.

On a more serious note, I have some medical issues so can't join you. I hope you get a good crowd of people who ask the important questions.

08 Oct 2013 08:51 #15 by ASaferConifer
Here is the video of the Community Meeting from last week for those who couldn't attend.

[youtube:9hqdvcto]
[/youtube:9hqdvcto]

PO Box 353, Conifer, CO 80433
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
A Safer Conifer Facebook Page

08 Oct 2013 19:23 #16 by Venturer
Where might I find a list of persons associated with Friends of Elk Creek Fire?

09 Oct 2013 10:25 #17 by Grady

WindPeak wrote: Where might I find a list of persons associated with Friends of Elk Creek Fire?

Here is a link to Secertary of State's Office registration for Friends of Elk Creek note it will only list the principals. Oct 15 is the next finical reporting due date, when we will get to see who put up the money to the nice slick color flyer that went out.

10 Oct 2013 08:57 #18 by Venturer

17 Oct 2013 12:23 #19 by KINCAIDSPRINGS

Friends of Elk Creek Fire wrote: There's also a new article out in yesterday's High Timber Times about this issue:

Elk Creek tax increase is debated at two events
By Daniel Laverty
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
The Elk Creek Fire District’s proposed tax increase continues to be a hot topic for Conifer area residents.

“I think the most important thing is getting information out so people can make an educated decision,” said Jennifer Eleniewski, chair of the Friends of Elk Creek.

Discussions occurred at two events last week: The Conifer Area Council’s public affairs committee hosted a forum Sept. 17 at which Fire Chief Bill McLaughlin and former board member Mike Bartlett
spoke. McLaughlin also appeared at a town hall meeting the following night.

This November, the fire department is asking for a 2.5-mill increase in the property-tax levy that would sunset after 10 years.

Next up, the Friends of Elk Creek are hosting an informative meeting at 7 p.m. Oct. 2 at Conifer High School.

Contact Daniel Laverty at . or at 303-350-1043. Follow him on Twitter at @LavertyReports.

THERE NEVER WAS A FORUM FOR DEBATE! EVEN AT THE PUBLIC MEETING WHERE THEY ASKED FOR QUESTIONS, THEY SIFTED THROUGH THEM AND DIDNT ANSWER SEVERAL QUESTIONS POSED BY MEMBERS OF THE AUDIENCE.

HI HO HI HO OFF TO VOTE NO WE GO!

17 Oct 2013 13:07 #20 by MountainGirl44
Kincaid Springs...we did answer pointed questions...were you there? There may have been one or two questions that were written down that we did not answer because they were not pertinent to the Mill Levy issue...they were questions that had to do with internally workings of the department and were not relevant to the discussions.....There was a forum for debate at the Conifer Chamber of Commerce Public Affairs committee. This was advertised to the public through the Chamber email list.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds