Why We Eat Our Own. Journey Church. Musings.

19 Oct 2013 16:47 #1 by ScienceChic
I've been considering writing a post about this for a while, and finally decided to get it done since the book, Why We Eat Our Own , is available for free this weekend on Amazon's Kindle (and I highly recommend you download a copy!), and in response to a thread that concerned me that I had to reply to on Pinecam.

I debated whether to put this in the Spiritual Cabin forum since it's about Journey Church, Bound to be Entertaining forum since it's partially about a book, or here for local news because there's so much more to it, and decided that the bigger picture means the most (surprise coming from me, right?!). :wink:

I'm sure many of you have heard some of the controversies surrounding the Journey Church. There's certainly been plenty of threads about it at Pinecam, and I finally weighed in yesterday on one of them .

I'm not a church-goer. I've been appalled at what I see as rampant hypocrisy and destructiveness by most religions and am turned off by that. The sermons I have attended rang false with fear-based morality and thinly disguised self-serving interest. I'm happy to practice my own spirituality, finding beauty, wonder, and awe in nature and the infinite possibilities of what we could've been and still could become. I've studied at the surface the major religions, but never found any that truly fit, though I identify most closely with eastern traditions such as Buddhism and Confucionism.

I've been following Pastor Michael Cheshire on Facebook and Twitter for some time now and have to admit that for the first time in my life, I actually contemplate voluntarily attending a church service. That was an astounding revelation to myself when I realized that thought. His brutal and straightforward honesty, pull-no-punches analysis of the reason that church attendance has declined in America (and its not because morality has declined or young people don't give time and effort to causes and nonprofits), and his humor all resonate with me. I got his book, Why We Eat Our Own , the last time it was available for free and just recently started reading it. I'm flying through. I think it should be required reading for everyone who posts on chat boards and who lives in small communities, and especially for those who attend church or are leaders in their communities or organizations. His wisdom and insights are something we can all take to heart.

I knew some of what the Journey Church has been doing, I watched and admired their pulling together and building the Chair on their property, and I've seen them grow to where they don't fit their congregation, first in Conifer Crossings, then in the Conifer HS, and wondered what they've been doing right. I think I now see what the main reason is - a great leader getting people involved again for the right reasons, actually caring about the people, and for worthy goals. I'm looking forward to learning more. I was astounded to learn just how much they are doing when they presented at the last Conifer Town Hall Meeting (42:00 minute mark. Sorry for the sound feedback overload, the rest of the speakers were quiet compared to their video sound and it was impossible to separate out boosting them over decreasing the video portion)
[youtube:39ontrq4]
[/youtube:39ontrq4]

As I said on Pinecam, I welcome any organization that provides value and attempts to better the community, even if they are competition, because competition is what makes us naturally stronger and better adapted for whatever may come and provides better quality choice for the consumer. I believe this organization is doing great things for our area and look forward to seeing what they accomplish next. Does anyone here attend the Journey Church? Any insights/thoughts/opinions to share?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Oct 2013 14:41 #2 by bashful
I am a member of Journey...and it is very gratifying that you as an outsider sees many of the characteristics that I find most admirable about the church. I am not the most involved member around, and I admit I need to kick myself in the rear and find ways to serve. I believe that they are a tremendous asset to the community. Your post on the business competition that they represent is right on...any business that feels threatened by them needs to be be more self-critical and look at their business model, performance and customer service first.

Journey's slogan/mission statement captures their intentions perfectly: You Matter to God...You Matter to Us.

I would be remiss not to add...please come to a service. You will laugh, cry, and generally be encouraged and challenged.

23 Oct 2013 14:56 #3 by ScienceChic
Welcome bashful! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, it is most appreciated. It wasn't until reading Pastor Michael's book that I started to understand more fully that slogan; before now, I thought it was just another cliche catch-phrase. I look forward to seeing what Journey accomplishes next, I'd love to meet Pastor Michael someday as well and see how we can help!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds