A Question About Karma

29 Nov 2013 21:49 #1 by ScienceChic
So, a friend of mine posted this a while ago on FB and I thought this was an excellent topic for discussion. I was saving it for when I had a little more time to devote to discussion, but that's going to be a little while yet :wink: so I'm gonna go ahead and toss it out here because it's too good a subject to leave sitting around. Let me hear your thoughts!

Here's a question about karma...
If a bad deed gets 'punished' (the person who did wrong,gets 'repaid' by some horrific event, say...) , but people keep doing bad things, does that mean pretty soon, all we get is bad breeding bad, creating evil? Because no one is perfect here, and the cycle seems to be that things are getting worse. Is this why?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Nov 2013 21:58 #2 by otisptoadwater
People will always do "bad*" things; Jesus died for your sins. If you don't sin then Jesus died for no reason. Sin and then decide if you should be remorseful; if you can sin and not feel any guilt is it really a sin or does the fault lie in your mind and potential lacking morals?

*Define BAD.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

29 Nov 2013 22:36 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic A Question About Karma

Science Chic wrote: So, a friend of mine posted this a while ago on FB and I thought this was an excellent topic for discussion. I was saving it for when I had a little more time to devote to discussion, but that's going to be a little while yet :wink: so I'm gonna go ahead and toss it out here because it's too good a subject to leave sitting around. Let me hear your thoughts!

Here's a question about karma...
If a bad deed gets 'punished' (the person who did wrong,gets 'repaid' by some horrific event, say...) , but people keep doing bad things, does that mean pretty soon, all we get is bad breeding bad, creating evil? Because no one is perfect here, and the cycle seems to be that things are getting worse. Is this why?

Do you have a link for that? If not how can I believe you have a friend? Even if you have a friend how do I know they actually posted that on face book.

I was going to respond to Otis but why should I when you did not provide a link in your OP.

If I were to respond to Otis, which I am not I would say aren't Christians rewarded or punished after death? Doesn't Karma happen during our life's?

If I were going to respond to your imaginary friend, which I am not, I would say what proof do you have that things are getting worse? How can you ignore good deeds that would cause good Karma? Do you brush your teeth after lunch? The universe needs to know.

30 Nov 2013 06:03 - 30 Nov 2013 12:14 #4 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic A Question About Karma
Karma is simply a BALANCING of energy. There is no good or bad designation......IF you subscribe
to reincarnation, you know that that energy can be distributed across many generations(lives).

(of course, JMO) :wave:

30 Nov 2013 08:07 #5 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic A Question About Karma
One of my favs in a bottle. LOL

Delwoods has it and Zokas has it on tap. mmmmmmm

http://www.dailybeerreview.com/2011/05/ ... e-ale.html

Oh sorry, I thought this was a beer thread. :)
Never mind!

[rimg:16s4qe48] 1.bp.blogspot.com/-EaRHDx_bICI/Td6-Ma5-m...n+Style+Pale+Ale.JPG [/rimg:16s4qe48]

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

30 Nov 2013 08:26 #6 by Hippie Love Fest
I have never really referred to it as Karma but I do believe we have to accept the outcome of whatever decisions we make, whether they are good or bad. We face the consequences of our choices.

30 Nov 2013 09:39 #7 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic A Question About Karma
It kind of tickles me the variety of people that profess a belief in Karma. It's part of the belief system of believers of Hinduism and Buddhism, and for non-Hindus and non-Buddhists to profess that belief seems to me to be cherry-picking religious beliefs. Let's see. I'll take a dollop of this from Christianity, a dab of that from the Jews, a bit of something else from the Muslims, but still present my self as agnostic or atheist or whatever "ist" I think makes me sound cool.

30 Nov 2013 12:21 #8 by homeagain

Mtn Gramma wrote: It kind of tickles me the variety of people that profess a belief in Karma. It's part of the belief system of believers of Hinduism and Buddhism, and for non-Hindus and non-Buddhists to profess that belief seems to me to be cherry-picking religious beliefs. Let's see. I'll take a dollop of this from Christianity, a dab of that from the Jews, a bit of something else from the Muslims, but still present my self as agnostic or atheist or whatever "ist" I think makes me sound cool.

From my POV, there is nothing wrong with taking a part of this and a part of that ideology and
utilizing it because it makes sense (in an esoteric way).

There are MANY perspectives......IF it works for you (collectively),then it's ALL GOOD.....JMO

01 Dec 2013 10:46 #9 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic A Question About Karma
I've not had the opportunity yet to study philosophy and religions really in depth, but here's what I think I know from a biological/evolutionary stand point.

Individual human beings are selfish at the primal level. It's instinct to think of ourselves first when taking care of our basic needs (food, shelter, protection from predators, etc). As we evolved, we have steadily grown into a more altruistic model of behavior because those who work as a group have had a better chance of survival than one who goes it alone. However, there are always those who try to "cheat" and benefit from the group without sacrificing personally. What's really cool is that even this behavior is selected against - they may win for a short period of time, but lose in the long-run.

Let's take for example, those drivers who race up a lane to a merge point in order to cut in front of a long line of cars who've already merged together to form a line in the lane that continues, thus saving themselves a few precious minutes of drive time. This seriously ticks everyone off who believes they fairly merged and waited patiently their turn in the group. Now, as I used to drive Hwy 285 home and witness this happening every night, I would pay attention to who did it so if I saw that vehicle again near the merge, I'd be able to block their way and prevent them from being unfair again if I so chose (I didn't, but I saw many others who did do that, and I can't say that I saw the same vehicles behaving that way every night so for many I wouldn't say it was a habitual behavior). Or, I'd wait and see if they'd incite someone to a rage that made them run that person off the road, or they lost control because it was icy out and they were driving in an unsafe manner (as Hippie Love Fest put it, living with the consequences of their actions). That is the "punishment", or behavior being selected against. Either by policing by fellow members of the group, or by their selfish actions causing an outcome that was more likely (crashing) due to their risky behavior. (btw, this wouldn't be an example if we all followed CDOT's recommendations for how to behave at a merge point - it creates a condition in which this selfish behavior is minimized and the altriustic behavior of the group reinforced, thus lowering risk to the group of a bad outcome)

So while I believe that "karma" may indeed exist and is, as homeagain put it, a balancing of energy, I don't believe that we humans as a whole are getting more "bad" as my friend perceived (otis, I LOVE that you asked the question: "Define 'bad'?" - you're thinking like a scientist right there! :wink: ). It is a cycle of people being selfish until they are selected against, ie "punished" and society as a whole bouncing back. I do think, sadly, that we are in a period in which selfish, thoughtless, harmful behavior is strong and haven't gotten to the point where it is selected against as a whole. What I see us doing to the environment is the premier example: we use antibiotics indiscriminately, we try to fix messes the quick and half-ass way (like taking pills to lose weight without exercising concurrently), we abuse the land in mass-crop growing, and we are extremely wasteful with what we create. It's not a sustainable way of life. We will pay for it, and change our behaviors as a result, in the decades to come; far too late to mitigate the worst of the damage, but we humans need a culling, and a reminder of what's truly important, anyway.

This link has a great explanation of the thinking behind the hypotheses:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/altruism-biological/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... y-altruism

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

01 Dec 2013 13:36 #10 by homeagain

LOL wrote: One of my favs in a bottle. LOL

Delwoods has it and Zokas has it on tap. mmmmmmm

http://www.dailybeerreview.com/2011/05/ ... e-ale.html

Oh sorry, I thought this was a beer thread. :)
Never mind!

[rimg:2s3j4s7r] 1.bp.blogspot.com/-EaRHDx_bICI/Td6-Ma5-m...n+Style+Pale+Ale.JPG [/rimg:2s3j4s7r]

SO_O_O, by the "hue of the brew" does it taste like "Blue Moon, or Shock top"???..NOT a beer
likin' kind of person,BUT sometimes on a hot day or a REALLY difficult day, I like a beer....my
"go to" beverage is a mimosa.....KORBEL and OJ.....nothing better to enjoy the "fine mountain
air".......... :wave: :biggrin:

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds