I could use someone's good thoughts....

01 Dec 2013 19:17 - 01 Dec 2013 21:28 #1 by bailey bud
I hate (capital "H") the holiday season.

Right about now - everyone gets in a festive mode ----
People start drinking (unfortunately - alcohol doesn't mix very well with me)
everyone starts shopping (I have a budget of $100 for 5 people)
and pretending that everyone is their friend (in general, with a few special exceptions
I don't have friends - I don't trust or like people - and have been that way for awhile).

I can't stand the fact that Christmas is a fabricated holiday (Jesus was NOT born Dec 25 --- and in fact - most Bible scholars say that his birth didn't look anything like what we make it out to be). Yes - I'm Christian ---- no - I can't stand Christmas.

I hate feeling inadequate. I can't stand wondering why someone ignored me the entire frickin year - and suddenly decided that I'm a friend around Christmas. I can't stand walking through stores - looking at all the crap that I really can't afford. It's hard to enjoy the glare from my kids that says I didn't get the right thing (maybe they wanted the new Xbox - I got them a Play Station). I can't stand the fact that my parents send me money, instead of visiting me.

All of this is to say - very sincerely - if I know you - send some positive thoughts in my direction. I absolutely despise the month of December, and could use your help getting through it.

Apologies for all the "me" and "I" words
sure I can self-diagnose and say that there's an ego/self-centric issue here. I'm simply explaining how I feel about the holidays.

It's kind of obvious to people around me
afraid BB is no fun to be around right about now.

Wish it was different

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Dec 2013 19:31 #2 by Blazer Bob
So what is your son doing for the holidays. Will he get leave?

01 Dec 2013 20:10 #3 by otisptoadwater
I'm there with you Bailey Bud, there are so many fake aspects in the commercial Christmas tradition and IMHO it bleeds over in to what and how our families celebrate Christmas. Sometimes I think it's better to take a deep breath and just skim the fun stuff off the top, let the rest go because life is too short to get wrapped up in details - even the ones that really matter to you.

On the other hand, it's important to remember what Christmas is all about. If we are honest with each other it's not about giving the best gifts, having the best parties, or somehow escalating our personal social status. The simple recognition of Christmas as the birth of Jesus has laid the foundation for the commercial dog pile of "traditional" things to buy and do.

Perhaps one solution is to find the balance between the commercialized holiday and what Christmas is really about. Attend the parties and celebrate but also observe the real purpose of celebrating Christmas and try to convey the meaning of Christmas to others of the Christian faith.

As for the people who have alternate belief systems, let them believe what they believe. Concern yourself with you and yours. Kids whining about not getting the 300 jigawatts super fantastic thingamajig? What would they be saying had you not given them any gifts at all? An alternate way of addressing that issue might be to give them cash and letting the kids figure out how far that money really goes.

I know many people (myself included) share your frustrations with the Christmas season (and other holidays too), it brings on a lot of stress and self-loathing. Did I get the right gifts, was the special dinner perfect, am I in the right place spiritually? No one will ever be perfect, stop beating yourself up and recognize that you are going to do what you believe is right. That's enough. Be who you are and don't spend too much time second guessing yourself.

I'll be running the "Hotel in the Hills" again this year and while my family and friends are a lot of fun to be around, they have a limited shelf life. Three days into their visit I get frustrated with their gripes; not enough hot water for four 30 minute showers in a row, bad cell service, limited cable TV. Try to find a way to skim the fun stuff off of the surface and let the rest go. Another way to look at it is that this is just a temporary situation, in a few days you'll be back to your normal routine.

When you're feeling stressed find a place you can go to and work it off. Take your dog for a long wander in the woods, chop some wood, or just find a way to get away from the situation long enough to put it all in perspective.

Positive thoughts coming your way, I have some very specific beliefs about Christmas and what should and shouldn't happen during Christmas. So far my opinions haven't had much of an effect on how the rest of the world celebrates Christmas.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

01 Dec 2013 20:32 #4 by bailey bud
BB ---- bailey brat is in prototype.

If he graduates by Christmas, he'll drive down to Myrtle Beach to spend time with his fiance ---- and will continue on to King's Bay. He might also swing down to Daytona to see my folks.

01 Dec 2013 20:47 #5 by ScienceChic
The holidays are definitely more stressful, I'm sorry that it's tough for you bb and I hope we can help! I do my best to avoid as much shopping as possible during this month. I run only essential errands (grocery, pet store, meat market) during the weekdays, and get in and get out. I've never been a "shopper" who likes to wander, and having to wait to check out makes me fidgety. I don't know if that's something you can do, but it might help if you can.

It's cliche, but it truly isn't how much you spend on someone, but how much thought you put into a gift that truly matters. I'd be more thrilled with some free "crappy kids artwork" from my kids (I say this with a smile, if you never saw the email that floated around years ago with that same title that was a ROFL essay) than any store-bought item. My son painted a tea mug for me a few years ago - he made the reindeer face blue, the reindeer butt on the other side of the cup multi-color, the outside of the cup green and the inside (yes, :) he painted the inside of the mug, had to have been a pain in the rear to do) red and it's my favorite gift from him. It's gotten chipped from regular use so I won't even put it in the dishwasher anymore; perhaps those you have to buy for would feel the same? You have posted some beautiful woodwork you've created - can you make something small that they'd like?

Is there anything that you enjoy doing that would redirect your attention? Reading, hobbies? Need some volunteer work to do - I can find something! lol

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Dec 2013 06:24 #6 by homeagain
Dealing with the holiday hassle is tedious. So, I attempt to circumvent the circus and elebrate
thru the year.....will try to re-connect with people with a phone call (out of the lue).....instead
of giving gifts around Christmas, I PURPOSELY give their gift to them around/at THANKSGIVING,
because I am thankful for their friendship/service and it seems much MORE appropriate. I ealize
Christmas Cards are passe,but I will sit down with my list (over the long holiday weekend of
Thansgiving,and truly TRY to be personal about it.....just a word or two,perhaps a sentence or
two,but CERTAINLY handwritten and signed with some sentiment of appreciation.....I will buy
gifts THRU OUT the year,when it is "just right" for someone and NOT because the calendar has
dictated it.

We are generous with our time/money THRU OUT the year,rather than just a designated month.

As I recall, Jesus was born in the spring (April?)......so,the Dec. disaster is dubious,at best.

Lastly, take the $100.....have your kids (family) find a TRULY needy cause/person and pass
the money over....a LESSON in giving (for the kids)...... :heart: :wave:

02 Dec 2013 07:53 #7 by FOS
So sorry to hear this BB. Christmas is what you make of it. The expectation is yours and yours alone.
We just simply don't buy into the rat race.
For us....it is a time to bake cookies with the grandkids.
To spend quality time with loved ones.
To remember the reason for the season.
The best gifts I have ever received were those made by the hands of those I love. They cost very little and have come from the heart.
I refuse to be a victim of other folks expectations.
Make the "Holiday" season what you want it to be.
Our decorations are construction paper chains and notes to Santa made by our children as they grew up.
Seems to me that 100 dollars is a good size budget for 5 people if you shop from the heart.
Just my thoughts BB

edited to add.....homeagain was right on. The season is about giving. That doesn't necessarily mean your money. Give of yourself.
That is truly what Christmas means.

02 Dec 2013 08:56 #8 by Mtn Gramma
BB, I'll hold good thoughts for you and keep you in my prayers.

02 Dec 2013 13:09 #9 by FredHayek
Thoughts to keep you feeling better about yourself? At least you aren't VL.

Keep yourself active? I like the holidays, for me the low times are January and February. I really need to find a project to work on this winter.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Dec 2013 13:44 #10 by bailey bud
hopefully get back to woodworking ---- but right now, there's a pile of Christmas lights on my table saw.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds