How to Best Pour a Glass of Champagne

12 Aug 2010 22:12 #1 by ScienceChic
Based on scientific study (French, not U.S. funds, for something so frivolous):
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38683111/ns ... e-science/
How to pour champagne? Science backs the side of a glass

Researchers from the University of Reims in France set out to settle a long-standing disagreement over the best way to pour a glass of champagne by measuring the losses of dissolved carbon dioxide gas during champagne serving.

Past studies have indicated that the bubbles formed during the release of large amounts of dissolved carbon dioxide gas help transfer the taste, aroma, and mouth-feel of champagne.

But Gerard Liger-Belair and his University of Reims colleagues set out to see how the act of pouring a glass of bubbly could impact the gas levels in champagne and its quality.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2010 20:16 #2 by major bean
You need a glass?

Regards,
Major Bean

13 Aug 2010 21:15 #3 by Abner
A college study was needed to figure that out? Any 17 year old with a six pack of bottled beer and a glass knows this.

Still, in a college study, where dose all that poured champagne go? Sounds like a brilliant study!! :frienddrink:

13 Aug 2010 21:26 #4 by pineinthegrass

"Pouring champagne down the side preserved up to twice as much carbon dioxide in champagne than pouring down the middle, probably because the angled method was gentler," they wrote in their study that was published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

They also showed that cooler champagne temperatures — ideally, 39 degrees Fahrenheit —helped reduce carbon dioxide loss.

Thanks SC! Now we find an easy way to avoid releasing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and reduce global warming.

Just pour your champagne more carefully.. :wink:

14 Aug 2010 00:00 #5 by ScienceChic
I recommend ingesting it quickly before the CO2 has a chance to diffuse out of the liquid and into the atmosphere.
And no belching or farting allowed! :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Aug 2010 09:07 #6 by FredHayek
Who can afford champagne in this economy? Just kidding!

Makes sense to me. I poured my beer that way for years. Miller High Life, the champagne of beers.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Aug 2010 11:37 #7 by ScienceChic

SS109 wrote: Who can afford champagne in this economy? Just kidding!

Makes sense to me. I poured my beer that way for years. Miller High Life, the champagne of beers.

http://www.delish.com/entertaining-idea ... kling-wine
http://www.cheapfunwines.com/archives/c ... rkling.php
:wink:

16 Aug 2010 16:05 #8 by Wayne Harrison
[youtube:oiuhr8et]
[/youtube:oiuhr8et]

Turn the bottle, NOT the cork.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds