Community Meeting, Possible Rezoning Journey Church Property

12 Feb 2014 10:33 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
From the meeting notice below:
There is a community meeting that will be held tomorrow night, February 13th, at Conifer Crossings, 11825 US Hwy 285, Conifer, to discuss a possible re-zoning of the Journey Church property located at 10101 Hwy 73, Conifer from Agricultural-2 (A-2) to Planned Development (PD) to allow for a church and church-related uses. All adjacent landowners and HOAs have been informed, this is an initial community meeting only; no development plans have been submitted as yet. A representative from Planning and Zoning will be there to provide information regarding County process and regulations, while the applicant will facilitate the meeting and present their plans. All are welcome to attend and provide comments to aid in improving the project and reduce impact upon the surrounding community.

Process Steps for Development Application

COMMUNITY MEETING NOTIFICATION
JEFFERSON COUNTY, COLORADO
This e-mail is to inform you that a Community Meeting has been scheduled to discuss the land use proposal described below. This Community Meeting is required by the County in order to provide for an information exchange between the applicant and community members. The Community Meeting is facilitated by the applicant, however a representative from the Planning and Zoning Division will attend the meeting to provide information to the attendees regarding County process and regulations. The County has not received a formal application for this land use proposal. Information related to this request may be found here.

Case Number: 14-101981CMT
Case Name: 10101 County Hwy 73
Address: 10101 County Hwy 73
Meeting Location: 11825 US Highway 285 (Conifer Crossings Building)
Case Type: COMMUNITY MEETING
Type of Application: Meeting to discuss a possible rezoning from Agricultural-Two (A-
2) to Planned Development (PD) to allow for a church and church related uses.
Community Meeting Date:
Feb 13, 2014
Community Meeting Time:
6:00PM - 7:00PM
Case Manager: Aaron McLean
Case Manager Contact Information: . 303-271-8727
The entire case file for this application can be viewed here .

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

http://jeffco.us/amandaItoI/PublicDocs/ ... ning-f.pdf

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Feb 2014 12:54 #2 by Nobody that matters
Is the church building gonna be shaped like a chair?

:WhooHoo:

Thanks for the informative announcment. I wish I could make it there tonight.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

13 Feb 2014 13:05 #3 by ScienceChic
That would be cool!

I'd love to hear their plans, unfortunately I can't make it either.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Feb 2014 08:43 #4 by Reverend Revelant
They have no firm plans as of yet. Basic reason given for not having a more substantive projection of what they would like to accomplish is due to the fact that they don't want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on all sorts of studies until they begin to get input form the community.

General things were mentioned like the church building itself, and maybe a rec center for church members and the community were mentioned. But no actual plans in regards to size, amount of occupation etc.

That was part of what last nights meeting was for, to start hearing pro and cons. I covered the meeting for The Flume and you can read more about it in next Fridays issue (02-21-2014) or online next week.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

15 Feb 2014 17:30 #5 by HappyCamper
I have friends that live in the area and if it was me I would be a little afraid about allowing the re-zoning without knowing what they really want to do.

15 Feb 2014 17:40 #6 by Reverend Revelant

HappyCamper wrote: I have friends that live in the area and if it was me I would be a little afraid about allowing the re-zoning without knowing what they really want to do.

I don't believe it's anyone's intention of going as far has having the property rezoned without Journey submitting complete plans and the community having the opportunity to debate those plans.

There are a number of steps that Journey has to fulfill before this even goes before the county commissioners for a vote.

This was simply the first step in a long process.

And if Journey does not come up with sufficient plans and paperwork, then this issue will probably be dead in the water.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

15 Feb 2014 22:42 #7 by HappyCamper
Not saying that with our friends they are mostly worried about the extra outdoor lighting in the area not what they would build.

They are not against the church in any way .

16 Feb 2014 06:48 #8 by homeagain
"Dark Skies" lighting is primarily what is used in the mountains....I would assume the church
(when they proceed with the details) would implement that.

RR is correct, there are MANY steps that need to be accomplished and FUNDING is the primary
obstacle.....having lived in Mill Iron D in Bailey, the Crow Hill Bible church purchased land
across from the library.....the ensuing controversy/project roll out never did come to fruition
because they lost funding and the permit window to get it done.....it was HIGHLY contentious
and they spent quite a bit of money to complete the studies required by the county....(traffic
impact studies,etc.)

16 Feb 2014 13:05 #9 by BuyersAgent
I'm tickled that conversation on the topic is discouraged on another site, until after the public meeting has been conducted. That seems like the process running in reverse. The way it's supposed to work is:

The government gives notice to the public of its intention to consider an issue.
Members of the public discuss the issue "among themselves."
The meeting is conducted with public input being considered, and the issue is ruled upon.

Instead, community members are urged to withhold comments until after decisions have been made. This implies that somebody else is in control over the issues and decisions. The public is supposed to participate even though (especially when) the issues are controversial and contentious.

The ability and encouragement to join in the discussion is what keeps tempers lower afterwards -- when people can at least recall that their voices were heard. Our form of government evolved from a realism about how people behave in response to regulation, as "getting the memo" about What Will Happen makes them feel controlled from afar and results in an unhealthy political and social climate that endangers all.

Just my two cents. :wink: There should be a lively debate on this land development issue. As a starting point, I'd comment that to the tax-assessing government, a piece of vacant land is "unimproved" and anything built upon it is a Positive. To citizens who want to preserve the status quo, anything built on vacant land is a Negative.

Kathy G. Hansen
Broker/Owner
COLORADO HIGHLIGHTS REALTY
303-761-4046

18 Feb 2014 20:11 #10 by gsellers

HappyCamper wrote: Not saying that with our friends they are mostly worried about the extra outdoor lighting in the area not what they would build.

They are not against the church in any way .

Have your friends seen the lighting project for the school ? http://www.clubchs.org/current

I think outdoor sports is great, lots of memories of Friday Night Lights myself :biggrin:

That said, I'm sure the church would never end up as bright at the school is at night...with nothing going on. Just drive by and look over from 285 anytime it's dark out.

Glad the community is interested and look forward to The Flume article Friday.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds