Community Meeting, Possible Rezoning Journey Church Property

19 Feb 2014 08:54 #11 by Venturer
It is my understanding that Crow Hill Bible Church could still decide to build and go through the appropriate hoops. LUR's allow for churches in residential areas so it is always a possibility.

As for Journey Church if they meet Jeffco requirements they should be able to build. Better a church than some other type of development?

If you live near major thoroughfares like hwy 73 seriously consider moving if you don't want to see more commercial enterprises along this corridor. It is going to happen.

homeagain wrote: "Dark Skies" lighting is primarily what is used in the mountains....I would assume the church
(when they proceed with the details) would implement that.

RR is correct, there are MANY steps that need to be accomplished and FUNDING is the primary
obstacle.....having lived in Mill Iron D in Bailey, the Crow Hill Bible church purchased land
across from the library.....the ensuing controversy/project roll out never did come to fruition
because they lost funding and the permit window to get it done.....it was HIGHLY contentious
and they spent quite a bit of money to complete the studies required by the county....(traffic
impact studies,etc.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Feb 2014 09:50 #12 by Nobody that matters

ColoradoKathy wrote: I'm tickled that conversation on the topic is discouraged on another site, until after the public meeting has been conducted. That seems like the process running in reverse. The way it's supposed to work is:

The government gives notice to the public of its intention to consider an issue.
Members of the public discuss the issue "among themselves."
The meeting is conducted with public input being considered, and the issue is ruled upon.

Instead, community members are urged to withhold comments until after decisions have been made. This implies that somebody else is in control over the issues and decisions. The public is supposed to participate even though (especially when) the issues are controversial and contentious.

The ability and encouragement to join in the discussion is what keeps tempers lower afterwards -- when people can at least recall that their voices were heard. Our form of government evolved from a realism about how people behave in response to regulation, as "getting the memo" about What Will Happen makes them feel controlled from afar and results in an unhealthy political and social climate that endangers all.

Just my two cents. :wink: There should be a lively debate on this land development issue. As a starting point, I'd comment that to the tax-assessing government, a piece of vacant land is "unimproved" and anything built upon it is a Positive. To citizens who want to preserve the status quo, anything built on vacant land is a Negative.

No decision is being made yet. It was an announcement for a meeting prior to the church submitting any official rezoning request in order to discuss the matter with the public. Lively debate cannot take place until everyone knows what the church is proposing. Anything prior to that is just general bitching and moaning.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

19 Feb 2014 13:08 #13 by Norm

25 Feb 2014 19:50 #14 by Reverend Revelant
Update.

The article I wrote on the rezoning meeting will run in this Friday's Flume (02-28-2014). They actually forgot to run it last week. Everything back on track now.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

26 Feb 2014 07:32 #15 by Venturer
Glad to know. I picked up last week's edition and couldn't find you. Look forward to reading it RR.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds