Search for Father-Son Hikers Lost in Rockies Ramps Up

08 Apr 2014 17:50 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Search for Father-Son Hikers Lost in Rockies Ramps Up
— Tracy Connor
April 8th 2014, 3:15 pm

A rescue crew has doubled the number of people searching for father-and-son hikers who have been missing in the frigid, snowy Rocky Mountains for nearly a week.

"We are hoping against hope that we find them alive," said Bill Barwick, a spokesman for the non-profit Alpine Rescue Team, which has 50 volunteers scouring the area around Echo Lake at the foot of Mount Evans in Colorado.

Damian McManus and his 19-year-old son, Evan, live in Minnesota and were last heard from Wednesday when they said they were going to "scale a peak," Barwick said.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Apr 2014 20:10 #2 by bailey bud
someone told me they were going to "scale a peak" ---- I might consider searching Long's Peak.

08 Apr 2014 22:26 #3 by Photo-fish
They might have tried following the contour of Mt Evans road and fallen into a very deep drift or over an edge. I was in that area this past weekend. Lots of bad areas to hike in winter if you aren't aware.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

09 Apr 2014 08:43 #4 by Ashley
There are plenty of places to slip and fall along the trail from Echo Lake not even using the Mt. Evans road. Hope they find them soon.

10 Apr 2014 09:20 #5 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Apr 2014 09:28 #6 by Grady

Photo-fish wrote: They might have tried following the contour of Mt Evans road and fallen into a very deep drift or over an edge. I was in that area this past weekend. Lots of bad areas to hike in winter if you aren't aware.

That there are.

10 Apr 2014 09:39 #7 by FredHayek
Search now called off.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Apr 2014 11:44 #8 by Cathy_Lee

bailey bud wrote: someone told me they were going to "scale a peak" ---- I might consider searching Long's Peak.

Why would you search Longs Peak if their car is in the Echo Lake parking lot?

Those guys did so many things wrong, I'm not surprised the rescuers didn't know which way they went and couldn't find them. The Colorado mountains claim out-of-state tourists routinely.

10 Apr 2014 15:22 #9 by Venturer
Sorry to learn they called off the search. Too bad the missing hikers didn't use the Mt. Evans road for their trek as there are many others who use it to xcountry ski and snowshoe.

There will still be small groups who continue search for recovery according to news.

10 Apr 2014 16:40 #10 by Photo-fish
I might go snowshoeing again up there this next weekend. There are too many trails up there to NOT tell somebody where you are going. At least leave a message on your dashboard to say wher you are heading, how many in the party and duration of hike.
Bummer for the family

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds