The Beginings of a Very Difficult Day

26 May 2014 01:44 #1 by otisptoadwater
I should be able to make my visit to Fort Logan, wish my friends and relatives well, shed a few tears and be on my way. This morning I find myself paying too much attention to the last uniform that fits me, a long time before I can even be present on the grounds of Fort Logan. Some how grooming that last sack of clothing might make others deaths acceptable, somehow allowable... I wasn't in control of the situations that resulted in their deaths... It's a crushing feeling and it's unavoidable, it's also the truth. I want the truth to be something else but that's not reality and it hasn't been for many years, wishing won't change the truth.

It's going to be a long morning and a longer day. Thanks for letting me vent.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 May 2014 06:03 #2 by FOS
I also awake early today to prepare for a long day of contemplating the sacrifice made on our behalf to enjoy all that we do.
Our freedoms are so precious and so much has been spent.
I to, will spend some time at Fort Logan at the gravesite of a dear friend.
I will spend some time just walking through contemplating the honor that is so much a part of Fort Logan.
My thoughts are of you today also Otis.

26 May 2014 07:36 #3 by homeagain
http://iava.org/press-room/press-releas ... morial-day

GO SILENT at 12:01PM TODAY......one FULL minute to remember the missing. :Patriot: :Patriot:
(Time is EST)

26 May 2014 08:48 #4 by ScienceChic
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us otis, and FOS. I can only wish you comfort for your pain, and say, with deepest gratitude, thank you to you and your families for all you've done. And thank you to all veterans near and far. Be safe, be well.

:tulip:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 May 2014 12:32 #5 by FNP
..."They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them..."

For the Fallen 1914
Laurence Binyon

26 May 2014 14:17 #6 by swansei
http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/flanders.asp
In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly.
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
This was the poem written by World War I Colonel John McCrae,

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds