Park County teen takes action against invading bear

08 Jul 2014 20:37 #1 by ScienceChic
Pretty cool head on her shoulders for how she handled herself.

Park County teen takes action against invading bear
Posted 10:47 pm, July 7, 2014, by Jon Bowman

BAILEY, Colo. — They say up on Crow Hill, Rose Hill has a new nickname, following her encounter with a black bear which had broken into the family garage.

“I just heard all this commotion and came running with a pair of shotguns I use for competitive shooting,” said Rose Hill. “I was face-to-face with the bear when my dogs chased it out of the garage through a hole the bear made going after dog food.”

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jul 2014 20:51 - 08 Jul 2014 20:55 #2 by ThePetParent
Just be careful of shooting a bear unless you have rubber buckshot provided by the Division of Wildlife. If you shoot a bear, lion etc you could be fined near $10,000 and they will investigate. If they feel the wildlife did not immently cause you to feel you were in fear of losing your life it could go against you. That is one hefty fine. Call the Division of Wildlife to find have the rubber buckshot sent to you.

Other alternitives is to hang a rag soaked in Ammonia hanging outside your garage, it confuses the Bears sense of smell or pour a couple capfuls of Ammonia in your trash bags,
Put an unwelcome matt outside your garage door, windows or any entrance made up of pieces of board with nails driven through it and placing the board with the nails exposed, like a bed of nails.
They won't come back once they step on it.

10 Jul 2014 07:10 #3 by Nobody that matters
The exposed nails would do a pretty good job of scaring off the UPS and Fedex people too....

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mtn Gramma

10 Jul 2014 07:18 #4 by pacamom

Nobody that matters wrote: The exposed nails would do a pretty good job of scaring off the UPS and Fedex people too....

And making it difficult to park in the garage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blondie

10 Jul 2014 08:39 #5 by ThePetParent

10 Jul 2014 08:41 #6 by ThePetParent
You only place them outside your garage door at night and make sure to pick them up and put them away so you don't drive over them. Bears seem to be most active at night

10 Jul 2014 08:58 - 10 Jul 2014 09:06 #7 by Ashley
Thanks PetParent for this response. I hope DOW, now DPW, investigates. Based on the article, it doesn't look as if she was in danger as the bear was running off. There are much better alternatives. So she runs outside with two guns when she hears a commotion? Different than being in fear for her life. I hope someone teaches her better methods of conducting herself before she kills someone. I am an advocate of owning guns, but there is also responsibility that comes with ownership. We know the bear, we know the location. She could have injured others in her line of sight. It wasn't necessary to shoot it, so many better alternatives.

ThePetParent wrote: Just be careful of shooting a bear unless you have rubber buckshot provided by the Division of Wildlife. If you shoot a bear, lion etc you could be fined near $10,000 and they will investigate. If they feel the wildlife did not immently cause you to feel you were in fear of losing your life it could go against you. That is one hefty fine. Call the Division of Wildlife to find have the rubber buckshot sent to you.

Other alternitives is to hang a rag soaked in Ammonia hanging outside your garage, it confuses the Bears sense of smell or pour a couple capfuls of Ammonia in your trash bags,
Put an unwelcome matt outside your garage door, windows or any entrance made up of pieces of board with nails driven through it and placing the board with the nails exposed, like a bed of nails.
They won't come back once they step on it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mtn Gramma

10 Jul 2014 09:27 #8 by Blazer Bob
The girl is a minor. Clearly child services should immediately remove her from her home and after her parents are executed, placed in an orphanage.

10 Jul 2014 09:51 #9 by ScienceChic
Here's the video interview that FOX News did of her if you'd like to get her perspective: kdvr.com/2014/07/07/park-county-teen-tak...st-an-invading-bear/

Yes, she waited until the bear was already leaving the garage to shoot it, but the fact is that it did break into her home so I don't blame her myself - who knows if it wouldn't have come back now that it had done so once? But, that's just my opinion. I think once she'd wounded it, she did the right thing in killing it so it didn't wander and suffer, or require DOW to conduct a search to do the same thing.

The one thing I can say for absolute certain is that the comments on the FOX News Facebook page post of this video were mostly ill-informed at best, disgusting at worst. One person even commented that they'd shoot her - a 15 year old girl - for what she did. Is that really called for?? Yeesh.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds