Burro Days Help

28 Jul 2014 12:33 #1 by ComputerBreath
Help me out here...I live on Hathaway behind the old Library/Courthouse. Since I've been there, every year during Burro Days, I have to fight to get people not to block my driveway or not to use my driveway as a shortcut to where they want to go. I have put signs out, I have put "blockers" (old tires & wood) out front of my house, I have put signs on people's vehicles, I have left my big dog outside a long time & he has scared people away.

This year, I only parked at the end of my driveway with the front-end of the truck towards the street, hoping people would get the idea that someone might want out of the driveway...to no avail. Both Saturday and Sunday, people parked at the barricades in front of the driveway & in front of my front yard fence, effectively making it so I could not get out of my driveway. My other option should I chose to go anywhere is to go through the field next door...but on Burro Days I can't do that either 'cuz that is where the vendors park their vehicles & campers.

My concern is two-fold...Firstly, what if I have an emergency and need to get out? Last year, I did have an emergency...my son got cold-cocked in the back of the head while at work and I had to take him to the emergency room--fortunately it was early enough on Saturday that we weren't blocked in--had I been, I'd'a called the cops and had some vehicles towed. And, secondly, if I can't get out, emergency vehicles can't get to me.

Should I address this with the town council? If yes, should I do it in person or in writing?

Or is this just the price I pay for where I live?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jul 2014 16:04 #2 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic Burro Days Help
I would address it with the town council in person, stating what you've posted here and asking their help with a solution.

28 Jul 2014 17:15 #3 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Burro Days Help
You could park on the street blocking your own driveway.
Put police tape out on barricades and draw a chalk outline of a person at the end of your drive.
Open your yard up to pay to park and make some money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ComputerBreath

31 Jul 2014 13:54 #4 by ComputerBreath
Replied by ComputerBreath on topic Burro Days Help
Have parked blocking my driveway...it worked for a bit, but idiots thought they could park parallel to me on one side and next to my front yard fence on the other...and then someone parked in front of me...blocking me in.

Love the police tape & chalk outline idea...

A couple years ago one of the vendors in a massive motor home asked if they could park in the nebulous area between the asphalt and my fence...and they paid me. It was the quietest Burro Days I had...the dogs couldn't see all the people walking by so they didn't bark and no one blocked my driveway. Maybe I need to pay someone with a massive motor home to park there that weekend???

Hmmmm...ideas. :camping: :givemebeer: :carwash:

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds