A Journey down the mountain

14 Nov 2014 18:21 #1 by homeagain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Nov 2014 19:37 #2 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic A Journey down the mountain
Just like any other business. Some make it and some don't

14 Nov 2014 21:35 #3 by ScienceChic
As I posted in a Facebook group discussion on this article in which people were lamenting the community's treatment of the church and its members:

While I think it was ridiculous the attitudes they faced from some in the community, and I certainly defended them as best I could because I think Michael Cheshire is great - he even made me consider attending service, and his youth pastor is equally fabulous, I also think they could have done a much better job reaching out to the community and becoming a more integral part of it. They were Chamber members, but we never saw them at a single function. They started all these businesses, but never touched base with businesses who could've benefited from/used their services, and it was confusing trying to figure out how to get hold of them.

They did a great job organizing people to donate and help the victims of the Lower North Fork Fire, but we never heard from them day-to-day otherwise. They could've partnered with MRC, like Conifer Community Church does to provide firewood for those in need. This year and last, I sent messages to one of their members I am friends with asking if they were doing Trunk or Treat, and even they didn't know until a day or two before Halloween; they never advertised anything in the community - I'm still not sure why they even put them on if they weren't trying to tell people what they were doing for them.

I am part of the Conifer Trails group and we tried to work with them to create a trail through their property, because they own the last piece that would connect Conifer High School to Flying J. They came to a couple of our meetings a year and a half-two years ago and were very enthusiastic about partnering, but in the last year they refused to even return simple phone calls. It's hard to get the warm fuzzies about a group when you feel like you're getting the cold shoulder from them.

I will miss them though. I think they could've done great things for this community and that the community really could've benefited from their teachings and their business opportunities, especially for the youth, that they had to offer. It is a shame that they felt harassed, but do remember that this article is pretty one-sided, and that's never the full story.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Nov 2014 06:18 #4 by homeagain
Couple years back I ATTEMPTED to volunteer at their "thrift store" (next to the restaurant)...it was
"running" a total of a month or two and then they folded it,selling everything at 10cents per item....at the
time I had the DEFINITIVE feeling that the church was being operated by VERY INEXPERIENCED staff/members.

15 Nov 2014 09:13 #5 by HappyCamper
I think when it comes down to it people up here really just are not happy with development, they like their little mountain town and don’t want any organization coming in and telling them what they are going to do.

There are examples of this everywhere, from the building and Kings Valley, the now empty Old Glory Building (where Journey was) many empty spaces at the Safeway Center, etc. are just a few.

More recent was the Catholic Church pulling their interest out of the property available on Kennedy Gulch and not to mention the Rec Center that seems to hit the ballots every few years.

But on that same note you hear many of the same people saying they would like to have more conveniences up here. Will it happen? Yes, probably some day but it will not be without a fight and disappointments on both sides.

The drama keeps things interesting and gives us things to talk about but I think that it also hurts the community.

Just my thoughts.

15 Nov 2014 12:20 #6 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic A Journey down the mountain

HappyCamper wrote: I think when it comes down to it people up here really just are not happy with development, they like their little mountain town and don’t want any organization coming in and telling them what they are going to do.

There are examples of this everywhere, from the building and Kings Valley, the now empty Old Glory Building (where Journey was) many empty spaces at the Safeway Center, etc. are just a few.

More recent was the Catholic Church pulling their interest out of the property available on Kennedy Gulch and not to mention the Rec Center that seems to hit the ballots every few years.

But on that same note you hear many of the same people saying they would like to have more conveniences up here. Will it happen? Yes, probably some day but it will not be without a fight and disappointments on both sides.

The drama keeps things interesting and gives us things to talk about but I think that it also hurts the community.

Just my thoughts.

You hit on a lot of good points with your reply. I for one am in the camp of keeping our little mountain a little mountain town.
I like the remote feeling of the area even though we can get to pretty much anywhere in the city in less than an hour.

With more development come more people and our little hideaway will be ruined with more traffic more regulation and unwanted attention from the county government.

15 Nov 2014 12:59 #7 by homeagain

HappyCamper wrote: I think when it comes down to it people up here really just are not happy with development, they like their little mountain town and don’t want any organization coming in and telling them what they are going to do.

Just my thoughts.

Been up here since 1997,the widening of 285,the mountain has taken on a DIFFERENT feel.Conifer is
NOW a burb of Littleton (I so DEEPLY miss Aspen Park Drug and the mountain hardware store that had EVERYTHING for our community)

The back story to BOLDED....Kings Valley Development went belly up because of embezzlement/misuse
of monies (my understanding) The Old Glory building was a replacement building (via insurance)for the
Old Glory antiques store, AFTER storm/snow damage one bad winter..By that time 285 was being widen
and improved upon at that location and their antique business went south because of construction/road
obstacles and they could NOT recoup their investment, they went down to Old Littleton location because
of the "downslide" of business. Safeway and KS VACANT storefronts are because RENT IS OBSCENE and that is a DIRECT result of water issues and LACK of adequate supply needing to be addressed...so SOME of the problems are lack of DUE DILIGENCE and some are just generally bad luck.

From afar,observing the church's behavior for sometime now, I believe their vacating was lack
of due diligence and NOT because of community. JMO

25 Nov 2014 16:56 #8 by Mountain-News-Events
From @JosieKlemaier :
Follow-up to Journey Church's departure from Conifer: They also left behind some debt with Jeffco Schools: dpo.st/1t8zqAO

Journey Church still owes money to Jeffco school district for building use
By Josie Klemaier, YourHub Reporter
Posted: 11/20/2014

When Journey Community Church left Conifer, it left behind a debt to Jefferson County Public Schools.

District spokeswoman Melissa Reeves confirmed that the church still owes nearly $17,500 for use of Conifer High School facilities over the course of 11 months.

"That's part of the whole issue that went on with the financial issues that came up," said Mike O'Connor, a representative of the church, which now meets in Denver as the Denver Chapel.

O'Connor said that the church hopes to pay off the debt if and when it sells its property at 10101 Jefferson County 73, which is near Conifer High School.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

25 Nov 2014 17:07 #9 by homeagain
NOT a surprise....IF the church was "solid" and had a business plan implemented, things could have been different and the community would have backed them. JMO

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds