Home defense

18 Nov 2014 08:22 #1 by Blazer Bob
Home defense was created by Blazer Bob
A couple good lines.

www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-3-t...ets-the-box-o-truth/

"I “racked” the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint."

"Birdshot as a Defense Load"...

"Unless you expect to be attacked by little birds, do not use birdshot. Use 00 Buck. It will do the job."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Nov 2014 09:38 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Home defense
The birdshot one is really hard to convince people about, even hunters. Best example, the time dick Cheney shot another hunter in the face with bird shot and the guy was fine, just needed to pull out the bird shot with tweezers. No risk of death.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Nov 2014 10:17 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Home defense

FredHayek wrote: The birdshot one is really hard to convince people about, even hunters. Best example, the time dick Cheney shot another hunter in the face with bird shot and the guy was fine, just needed to pull out the bird shot with tweezers. No risk of death.

I think what we have here is a difference of attitude not effectiveness.

The writer is coming from the attitude that the perp is a crack crazed killer. I think most people think of house breakins as kids wanting to steal your tv or stash.

18 Nov 2014 10:24 #4 by cydl
Replied by cydl on topic Home defense
There's certainly a lot of debate in home defense circles regarding birdshot vs. buckshot; rivals the debate of .45 vs. 9mm vs. .380 (Colion Noir has some really funny YouTubes regarding the caliber debate)

Seems to me any but the most hardened burglar would not want any firearm pointing at him regardless of the load/caliber.

18 Nov 2014 10:48 #5 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Home defense
Load your shotgun with rock salt like Granny Clampett?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Nov 2014 15:19 - 18 Nov 2014 15:20 #6 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic Home defense
This backed up with my favorite caliber works pretty good at my home.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ComputerBreath

18 Nov 2014 16:15 #7 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Home defense
First question, has anyone been attacked by 5/8" sheetrock, singularly or in a gang? All the test really tells you is how many walls will you shoot through. Birdshot is not even close to the best home defense ammo, but better than harsh language. Many African guides swear by #4 buck as a lion or leopard charge stopper, some with multiple times having used it. 00 buck can be effective and has proven itself many times. Slugs penetrate nearly all the walls in your home and nearby neighbors house as well. Talk to ER Docs and realize the vast majority of patients brought into a hospital alive with handgun wounds, will live. Rifle and most shotgun wounds result in lost limbs or death. The purpose is to stop the threat, death is incidental.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

18 Nov 2014 17:27 #8 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Home defense

gmule wrote: This backed up with my favorite caliber works pretty good at my home.

If the dog didn't stop you then you stopped the dog; an eye for an eye. Generally speaking, people don't do so well with two .45 rounds in center mass and one between the eyeballs. A round to the knee and/or ankle/foot could get the bad guy stopped if you wanted to ask some questions first...

Not sure you're going to hit what you're shooting at? Don't take the shot until you are sure. That means you have to hone your marksmanship skills and maintain them if you have any expectation of being effective in defending your home from intruders.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

18 Nov 2014 17:32 #9 by intheaspens
Replied by intheaspens on topic Home defense
Amen to that. Train, train, train. Marksmanship is a perishable skill.

19 Nov 2014 07:20 #10 by Freezeman
Replied by Freezeman on topic Home defense
Recently I got my wife training with meat cleavers. I like the results. :carve:

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds