Jennifer Lobato's Jail Death: Jeffco Sheriff Admits She Didn't Need to Die

16 Mar 2015 22:56 #1 by ScienceChic
Kudos to Sheriff Shrader for taking responsibility for the communication/protocol failure. I hope this does spur reforms in the operations, as it was a top-notch facility when I toured there 2 years ago and I know there are many fine officers working in Jeffco.

Jennifer Lobato's Jail Death: Sheriff Admits She Didn't Need to Die
By Michael Roberts
Thursday, March 12, 2015

Today, a funeral will be held for Jennifer Lobato, a 38-year-old mother of seven who died in Jefferson County jail.

She needn't have. In a highly unusual admission, Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Shrader is now publicly conceding that had she received timely medical care for what attorney David Lane, who is representing Lobato's family, describes as heroin withdrawal, she would likely still be alive today.

“We’ve learned there were numerous opportunities of missed communication," Shrader added. "The communication between the deputy staff and between deputies and the medical unit could have been more demanding. The communication amongst deputies could have been more clear. The communication with the medical unit could have been more clear.”

Shrader was "bothered by the misses in communication" and "the off-the-cuff statements that appear callous. I’m bothered by those."

Jeffco Jail Medical Staff Repeatedly Informed Of Sick Inmate Before Death
March 5, 2015

Jacki Kelley, a spokesperson for the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department, told CBS4 Thursday that deputies shared that information with jail medical staff.

“On at least two occasions, there is no question our deputies contacted the medical staff and related her medical status,” said Kelley. “Her medical status and condition was reported to medical personnel.”

Kelley told CBS4 that an autopsy performed on Lobato was inconclusive and provided no clear cause of death. She said toxicology results would take six to eight weeks and might provide more clues as to why Jennifer Lobato passed away. Kelley added that when Lobato was admitted to the jail Sunday afternoon, she denied using controlled substances or having withdrawal symptoms.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2015 07:18 #2 by FredHayek
I was having dinner Friday night with a retired Jeffco Sheriff Deputy who used to work on both the street and in the jail. She was very upset that this happened. She tried to do her best making sure her inmates received medical treatment, but too often her pleas were ignored of given very low priority. The new sheriff is saying the right words, but I hope it is backed up. Prisoners can be very hard to deal with at times, but they deserve decent medical care.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Dec 2015 17:06 #3 by Mountain-News-Events
Lawsuit filed against Jeffco over woman's overdose death in jail
Jennifer Lobato pleaded for deputies' help before she died of opiate withdrawal in the Jefferson County jail
By Kirk Mitchell, The Denver Post
Posted: 12/16/2015

Family members of a woman who died of a drug overdose in the Jefferson County jail filed a civil lawsuit on Wednesday against the county and jail deputies they accused of scoffing at her pleas for help.

The family of Jennifer Lobato, 38, who died on March 2 of opiate withdrawal, are seeking compensatory and punitive damages as well as attorney's fees.

The federal lawsuit was filed on behalf of Lobato's family, including her seven children ranging in age from 4 to 19.

The lawsuit names 14 defendants, including seven deputies accused of ignoring signs of Lobato's illness for 12 hours until her death.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds