Letter I got from Jon Keyser about 285 changes

24 Mar 2015 17:31 - 24 Mar 2015 17:32 #1 by HappyCamper
Below is the letter I received and today on the way home they have signs up about the steep grade, they have changed the speed limit to 45 and there was a State Trooper using radar just past Shaffer's Crossing before the speed goes back to 55.

As your State Representative, I want you to know that I am committed to making sure we see meaningful progress and positive steps to resolve this important safety issue that exists at Shaffers Crossing. Thank your for expressing your interest and involvement in finding a solution.

Here are the actions I have taken so far:

1. I started with a Monday morning conference call with Jefferson County Commissioner Don Rosier. Commissioner Rosier and I are both committed to resolving this safety issue, and we will be working together to coordinate efforts at the local level to make (out of town) folks aware of the danger that exists at Shaffers Crossing.

2. I sent an official letter to the Executive Director of CDOT asking for the Executive Director's immediate help and cooperation.

3. I met with CDOT officials for an in-depth discussion on the path forward. I believe that meeting was very productive. CDOT indicated that it has carefully reviewed possible options and believes the most appropriate way to address this problem is to install approximately 700 feet of permanent barriers and an impact attenuator to prevent people from crossing the double yellow line into oncoming traffic. In the news, it has been reported that the barriers will be in place in "a couple of weeks." To be clear, CDOT did not tell me they would have construction starting in "a couple of weeks." They told me that CDOT will be opening up a competitive bidding process this week, and that we can expect construction to begin in the May/June time-frame. After carefully listening to the concerns of the members of our community, I asked that CDOT broaden their scope of possible corrective actions and consider factors like speed limits, signage, visibility going around the corner and digital/electronic signage. I asked whether they would need additional funds to broaden the scope of possible corrective actions, and they indicated that they can accomplish these things without a separate appropriation. I will work to make sure your TABOR tax refunds will not be affected by the construction of this project. On Monday afternoon, CDOT publicly announced that they would be installing the barriers.

4. Also on Monday afternoon, I issued a press release and spoke to reporters about Shaffers Crossing. I emphasized that I am focused on results, and I am optimistic that we are moving in the right direction to solve this problem. I also emphasized that this is part of a bigger effort-both traffic safety and our transportation infrastructure need to be addressed. Our House District includes the 285 Corridor and the I-70 Corridor, and I am committed to working to bring together the necessary parties to help solve these difficult problems we face.

5. I spoke at length with the Executive Director of CDOT, who gave me his personal commitment to make sure we will see the barriers constructed and that they will evaluate a host of additional measures that may be used to improve safety at Shaffers Crossing. The Executive Director emphasized that they are moving this process along as quick as possible, but people should not expect to see barriers erected in the next couple of weeks. However, in the mean time, they are putting into place additional electronic signage to advise those not familiar with Shaffers Crossing of the danger ahead.

6. I spoke with Sheriff Jeff Shrader, and the Sheriff's office is very engaged in this issue and will be working with State Patrol to step up patrols. Until the barriers are completed, we can expect to see additional law enforcement and electronic signage to help manage traffic through Shaffers Crossing.

7. Last night, we set up a petition to make sure CDOT follows through on its promise. By 10am, we had more than 200 signatures on the petition. Many of you expressed deep concerns with past promises by CDOT. Please make sure you sign the petition, so CDOT knows that we care about this issue and want to see results. If you have not already signed the petition, please sign the petition by clicking on this link. Also, please forward the petition to 5 friends in the area and ask them to sign the petition, too.

As your Representative, I am fully committed to working on this issue and will continue to be in contact with CDOT. I will continue to provide updates as they become available.

As always, please contact me any time you have any questions or concerns.

Jon Keyser
Representative for HD 25

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Mar 2015 08:59 #2 by LOL
Is the 45mph going to be permanent?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

25 Mar 2015 09:53 #3 by FredHayek
I have never had an issue at Schaefer's, even after the changes.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds