So what would you do?

03 Apr 2015 17:02 #1 by ScienceChic
There was a really interesting topic of conversation that they had on Mix100 this morning that I thought I'd pose here to you all. A lady called in to ask whether she should tell her husband about something she'd been doing since before they got married.

It turns out that shortly before they were to be married 4 years go, she opened a separate savings account from their joint accounts and has been putting $50 from every paycheck into it ever since. It's now accumulated over $5,000 and she was feeling a little uncomfortable that she hadn't told her husband about this still. Did the viewers think she should tell him, or not?

Here's the back story. When she was younger, her Mom told her after 30+ years of marriage to her father that "had she had just $5,000, she would have left the marriage before then." Her mom urged her to set up a fund so that should she ever need to end a relationship, she wouldn't have to stay because she was financially beholden. If she saved up and could sustain herself for a bit, then it relieves a lot of stress and helps you leave an unhappy situation. When this lady hit that $5K mark, that's when it hit home about her not telling her husband about it yet.

Here's the thing: does having that fund make it easier to end a marriage when things get rocky, as they will in almost every relationship at some point? Or is it smart of women, or anyone for that matter, to have a rainy-day fund and if the relationship continues to thrive, then you can use it for a special anniversary gift decades down the road, or a trip for you both?

For you men out there: does this make you think that your wife has no faith in you or the relationship? Conversely, would you recommend to your daughter that she do this?

BTW, the voting went 6-3 that she not tell her husband yet that she has this separate account. Do you agree and why or why not? Would you do this if you were starting a relationship all over again?

I myself think it's a good idea because I think of all the women out there who are trapped in abusive relationships and how this could save them. For those relationships that make it, it could be a great surprise for an anniversary. Yes, there is a risk that people would jump ship at the first sign of trouble in a relationship rather than working it out, but honestly, would it really negatively affect a relationship of people who truly value one another, or just those who would've quit anyway? Of the few times that my husband and I have been so out of sync that I wasn't sure that we would make it or not, one of those being so bad that I had honestly decided I would rather be miserable and alone than miserable with him, it wasn't a lack of money that made me stick it out and work to fix it, rather it was knowing that I wouldn't find anyone who would ever love me more and I would be resigning myself to a life of settling for less, and it was him deciding to work on it with me to improve it when I confronted him with this choice. We had the hard, brutally honest conversations and made the effort to compromise and give each other what we needed because we wanted to fix it, not because we couldn't afford to separate.

What are your thoughts?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Apr 2015 09:43 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic So what would you do?
I wouldn't tell. Always good to have an emergency reserve. And it might even help out the couple one day when a crisis comes. If he finds out, tell the story. B)

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

04 Apr 2015 10:00 #3 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic So what would you do?
We have always shared everything money bills etc. never had separate accounts. I do have a little hidden stash that I typically use around Xmas but it is not $5000.00.

For me I would have to say it depends on her relationship if hubby is they type that spends every penny keep it hidden if he is a savvy person tell him.

05 Apr 2015 17:47 #4 by Arlen
Replied by Arlen on topic So what would you do?
That is also HIS money. It seems to be more akin to theft and she wants to use it maybe to leave him. Sounds as if she is not committed to her marriage. What a lowlife piece of work!

05 Apr 2015 20:12 #5 by otisptoadwater
I'm a big believer in everyone having their own personal stash of cash, especially when it's money they earned on their own. That said, if you're in a relationship living in the same domicile (and potentially supporting children as well) then there will be obligations that have to be satisfied and it's incumbent of both parties to ensure those obligations are met. Sometimes that might mean having to dip in to the personal cache of funds; keep that cache a secret from your SO?

I would assume that my SO had a fund of her own and I wouldn't be so bold as to assume that any of those funds where mine to use without the consent of my SO. If I were to come upon hard times I can imagine needing ask for assistance but asking for help from my SO's personal stash would be the very last option.

Regardless, the bills have to be paid. Each of us are solely responsible for our own happiness looking out for number one is important, knowing who is number one is more important. Sometimes you have to admit that you are not the most important person in a relationship and bear a little pain for the betterment of others.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

06 Apr 2015 09:07 #6 by Nobody that matters
I'd be pissed, since she handles the money, but I do the taxes. She would have had to hide the interest income from me putting me at risk for an audit.

My wife does have an account of her own, in her own name. I'm good with that. I get the interest statement, but other than that I don't care what she does with it.

BTW, I do not have any money in my own name. Never felt the need for it.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds