Local contractors - don't get burned like we did

23 Apr 2015 16:56 #1 by rmjdbm
We got seriously burned by a local contractor that does a lot of work up here. I can't give names, details or anything but I just wanted to say "something" to my community about it as a warning. Even if you have known someone for a while and he has done work for you before, you can't really trust that he won't leave you high and dry after ruining your renovation and taking no responsibility for it.

I want to provide details that will help you but I can't. All I want my community to know is that it happens in small towns, with people you thought you could trust who do a lot of work around here.

We are not looking for another contractor because this one took all of our money so please do not contact me to help fix our disaster. As far as remedies go, I can't discuss that either.

We are very upset that this guy didn't stand by his work. We thought he had more pride in is work than that.

Here's some tips from the Federal Trade Commission on hiring contractors. I'm sure if you follow these tips you won't get burned like we did.

www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0242-hiring-contractor
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Apr 2015 18:48 #2 by ScienceChic
I am so sorry to hear that you had an awful experience with a local contractor rmjdbm. Thank you for sharing your warning for everyone and a helpful link with tips, that is much appreciated. While we want our community to share both good and bad experiences, we do prefer to talk up good businesses and leave the negative experiences to be worked out privately if at all possible. If attempting to resolve the problem privately doesn't leave you satisfied, you may certainly post the facts of your experience here for others as a heads-up and they can decide for themselves whether to take a chance using that same business.

We encourage everyone to post detailed, positive testimonials when you have a great experience/service/product received so we know whom to use ourselves and can all benefit from using local contractors/businesses that have done good work, are reliable, and trustworthy. Those online reviews provide a documented "word-of-mouth" that goes a long way! If that business is listed in our Online Directory , you can post it directly on their Profile Page (or in their forum, if they have one in our MyMtnTown Business Partners forum ), or you can post it in our Member Testimonials & Reviews thread in our Business Classifieds.

Thanks!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 May 2015 11:37 #3 by ThePetParent
I hear you.

I had a plumber, a licensed plumber from Evergreen, do terrible work and skipped out on me.

It wasn't until I posted my experience on Facebook on his page and Yelp and the BBB did I get his attention.

Your posting your experience,,I dont' think anyone can sue you for that.

I took lots of photos too.

You should take photos and take him to small claims court!

12 May 2015 11:40 #4 by ThePetParent
But remember your time to file a small claims in court is time sensitive...I think it is 2 years but check with your county clerk

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds