Steven Pinker’s Mind Games

19 Jun 2015 22:18 #1 by ScienceChic
This quiz was kinda fun to take! I sadly didn't do too well second-guessing myself. :)

Steven Pinker’s Mind Games

Steven Pinker is every bit the populist. Just look at the test questions here, culled from one of his Harvard courses, “Psychological Science.” He explains his approach: “The questions that psychology tackles are the ones that obsess us in everyday life: family relations, sexuality, kindness and aggression, the reliability of knowledge. Not surprisingly, many concepts in academic psychology have crossed over into popular culture, such as conditioning, Freudian psychoanalysis and cognitive dissonance. Exams that invoke these memes test whether students understand the theories well enough to reason about them when they are presented away from a familiar textbook context and are applied to real life.”

Here's one of the 10 questions:
2 Did you hear the joke about the statistician who drowned while wading across a river whose average depth was three feet? What did the statistician forget to take into account?

The standard deviation
The correlation coefficient
The median
Inferential statistics

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds