PROJECT ANNOUNCEMENT - US 285 ELK CREEK

19 Aug 2015 14:12 - 19 Aug 2015 14:19 #1 by DonaldRosier
Passing this along...

Please find below a construction announcement detailing the US 285 Elk Creek Safety Improvements Project at Shaffers Crossing, which is set to begin the week of August 24, 2015.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call or email the Public Information team. Our contact information is below.

Thank you,
US 285 Alamosa South Safety Improvements
Public Information Team

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Aug 2015 15:26 - 19 Aug 2015 15:27 #2 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic PROJECT ANNOUNCEMENT - US 285 ELK CREEK
I just shared this post on my FB page along with the following comment:

Highway 285 at Shaffer's Crossing is our entrance and exit off this main thoroughfare. It's been a problem for a very long time, and some might even go so far as to say the "improvements" made initially actually may have made it worse than it was before.

Since those "improvements" were made, we've had multiple fatalities, and several misguided "safety improvement measures" that have been implemented. None of them have lived up to their hype.

This new safety improvement measure may be better than previous ones, but they still do NOT address the issue of proper signage overhead as people near this very dangerous intersection from either direction.

I believe clearly delineated signage similar to what we see on our Interstate highways would be a tremendous help. Painting on the highway itself isn't the answer as it disappears during snowstorms and can be very hard to see during rainstorms. Signage, big signage, big signage with green background and huge white lettering with arrows pointing to show directions of each lane....THAT's something that would help more than just about anything else, IMO.

I'm all for safety improvements, but if, or until, proper signage is addressed, I think this latest safety improvement measure may be spitting into the wind....again.

19 Aug 2015 15:36 #3 by ScienceChic
I agree with you ZHawke. One of the recent times that I was tailgated through that stretch, as I moved over into the exit lane for S Elk Creek so I could head up to Staunton State Park for a Board meeting, the pickup truck behind me started to follow, obviously not realizing that it was an exit-only. As soon as they figured it out, they quickly cut back over to continue on 285 at the faster pace they wanted to go, thankfully there wasn't another tailgater behind them who had sped up thinking they could take the new space opened up. Considering that the lanes are going to remain the same for quite some time, signage would go a long way.

I know you've sent these comments to Jon Keyser, would you mind sending them along to the email, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., associated with this project as well? I know they are only the bidders who won this project, but the more people who mention this to CDOT, the greater the likelihood that something will happen.

Thanks!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 Aug 2015 15:41 #4 by ZHawke
Done!

19 Aug 2015 15:44 #5 by ZHawke
I got to thinking a little more on this and realized that with the coming of the Catholic retreat it's even more imperative the signage be addressed adequately. This if for no other reason than the increase in traffic flow generated by said retreat.

24 Aug 2015 21:34 #6 by Mountain-News-Events
Residents Hopeful New Plan For Highway 285 Will Lead To Fewer Wrecks
August 24, 2015

CONIFER, Colo. (CBS4) – In recent years a hill and a curve on Highway 285 outside of Conifer have contributed to several accidents, many of which have been fatal.

The location is on a stretch of the highway above Shaffers Crossing that is set to be under construction soon.

“I think it will help,” said Claire Hendrickson, a resident of the community of Pine. “People have been telling them for about two years to do something about that road.”

Jim Owsiany, also of Pine, told CBS4 congestion on the road has increased in recent years.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

25 Aug 2015 19:45 #7 by HappyCamper
They pulled the plastic reflector sticks today and where the orange barrels fit they put those in.

Hopefully we will see more progress tomorrow.

28 Aug 2015 18:01 #8 by coniferchambercommerce
CDOT Update: US 285 Northbound/Southbound Shaffer's Crossing (Milemarker 225.7-226.1) (through
October 2015)

Mo-Tu 8:30a-3:30p left lane closure for installation of temporary southbound concerete barrier; We 7:30a-4:30p and Th 8a-4p northbound left lane closure for asphalt removal; Fr 7:30a-12p northbound left lane closure for grading. Project Info: 720-770-1770, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

25997 Conifer Road, Unit D4, Conifer - 2nd floor, east side.
(Mailing address: PO Box 127, Conifer, CO 80433)
303-838-5711

www.goconifer.com
www.facebook.com/ConiferAreaChamberofCommerce
twitter.com/ConiferChamber
Monthly Breakfast Meeting every 2nd Friday of the month. Doors open at 7:15am. Please join us! Register in advance at GoConifer.Com

01 Sep 2015 06:27 #9 by HappyCamper
THIS IS A MESS PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I witnessed a near accident coming home yesterday, drivers not familiar with this road have no clue what to do and are staying in the Elk Creek turn lane then cutting over.

I really, really hope they get some signage farther up the hill.

IMO their fix is looking more like a nightmare.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds