Coyote concerns

18 Aug 2010 21:22 #1 by Local_Historian
Past several nights at dusk until around midnight, I'm hearing a pack of coyotes every night. they're getting bolder and closer every day; tonight I got the dogs in out of the run when they started, they were that close.

I live in Mountan View Lakes - anyone else hearing them?

What can be done about them if they end up in my back yard - how do you scare them off?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Aug 2010 21:45 #2 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Coyote concerns
Yep, I hear them every night too. They usually don't come close to our house, but if they did I would make noise--beat pans together or something like that. I'm in Woodside, just up the valley from your neighborhood. Must be the same ones.

18 Aug 2010 21:55 #3 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic Coyote concerns
I think they're raging pretty far - unusual too. You'd think there'd be ebough prey if they stayed up near Staunton.

18 Aug 2010 22:16 #4 by pchistory
Replied by pchistory on topic Coyote concerns
I live in west Centennial and we have a resident pack pack living in the green belt/natural area just outside my front door. They wake me many nights, sometimes sounding like they're right outside my window - the sirens from a neighborhood fire station always set them off. I've watched them from my window many times. They've been spotted chasing down and cornering loose dogs and cats several blocks into the neighborhood, less than a block off University Boulevard.

18 Aug 2010 22:25 #5 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Coyote concerns
I have heard about your coyote problem. My daughter lives somewhat near you. It seems to be getting very serious in the city.
My neighbor warned me a week or so ago about a pack that was running near her property. I don't hear them much and have not seen any near my home in the Ranchos. Have seen in them in the big open fields on 43 though.

19 Aug 2010 04:29 #6 by MamaRama
Replied by MamaRama on topic Coyote concerns
We live over here in Elk Creek Highlands and ther hasen't been but maybe twice in the last two weeks that we haven't had at least one come thru. A couple of weeks back we had one chase a doe and her fawn across the ridge behind our home and it was relentless!! We've been up here since 2005 and we've never noticed them around like this.

19 Aug 2010 07:12 #7 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Coyote concerns
I've been here 23 years and I can't say I see more coyotes. If anything, I see fewer now than back then. But there are more houses now too so maybe that's why. The ones the OP posted about have always hung around here--at least there has always been noise like this. Last night, it was around 3AM...I like it, but maybe I'm wierd. :)

19 Aug 2010 07:52 #8 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Coyote concerns
The coyotes in the gulch by me were busy this morning. Good thing they didn't start till after I was back in the house. Walking around out there in the dark always gives me the shivers.

And the sirens on 285 always set them to yipping and yapping and howling and screeching. I do love to listen to them, tho.

19 Aug 2010 12:29 #9 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Coyote concerns
My Border Collie won't go out before me. He waits for me to check for coyotes. The doxy I have to hold because he'll attack anything. He'd lose to a coyote.

I think the coyotes roam around and stick to where the pickin's are good.

We've heard them several nights now. This AM, however, at about 1:30 on, I heard 2 neighbor dogs barking. One barks, then the other. Maybe a pause and off they go again. Do their owners not hear them?

I keep swearing I'll get in the car and track them down, but I never do.

19 Aug 2010 12:34 #10 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Coyote concerns
I back to a ranch and creek and have always had a large pack of coyotes. They were very passive and afraid of humans and dogs but I've noticed a more aggressive and fearless demeanor the last few years. I appreciate the role they play but have been a little more concerned lately also.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds