19 Aug 2010 14:05 #11 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Coyote concerns
From the Colorado DOW - at the end are some tips re:coyotes
Scroll down to find the coyote article

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NewsMedia/PressReleases/

4/29/2010
Division of Wildlife
Coyote Activity Increases in Spring

The Colorado Division of Wildlife is asking people to take precautions when living or recreating in coyote country. From coyote attacks on pets to aggressive coyotes approaching people, the Division is receiving increasing calls about coyote activity. .................................

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Aug 2010 20:24 #12 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Coyote concerns
This coyote hysteria is nonsense. Coyotes are not agressive toward humans or dogs. This is the same type of hysteria that eliminated wolves in America and Europe. It is hysteria myth.

Regards,
Major Bean

20 Aug 2010 00:23 #13 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic Coyote concerns
Coyotes can be aggressive toward dogs, and have been in this area before. In Westminster this spring, coyotes were thought to have killed 10 dogs alone the one greenbelt that runs behind/between the houses, and countless cats.

But you go ahead leave your animals out all night and excuse me if I choose to not do so.

20 Aug 2010 06:33 #14 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Coyote concerns
My dad grew up on a ranch in South Dakota, and coyotes regularly kill dogs if they outnumber the dogs. Also, do you really believe the attacks on humans, mostly children, are fabricated?

The silent majority will be silent no more.

20 Aug 2010 07:34 #15 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Coyote concerns
What I find fascinating about coyotes is that while ranchers and others have gone gangbusters trying to annhilate them, those coyotes manage to just keep breeding, replacing and exceeding their prior populations.

If you have ever lived where there are no coyotes, the deer overrun areas, destroy vegetation, and become ill and malnourished. As with everything, coyotes (predators) have an important role in the ecosystem.

20 Aug 2010 07:38 #16 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Coyote concerns
Satchmo, tried as they might (shooting, trapping and poisoning) coyotes have always adapted. Hence the "wily" reference.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

20 Aug 2010 08:36 #17 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic Coyote concerns
When they get to close, I fire a couple of rounds into the air and we don't see them for a few weeks.

20 Aug 2010 10:49 #18 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic Coyote concerns
Be careful that you're not standing under those rounds when they return to earth . . .

20 Aug 2010 12:09 #19 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic Coyote concerns

Satchmo wrote: What I find fascinating about coyotes is that while ranchers and others have gone gangbusters trying to annhilate them, those coyotes manage to just keep breeding, replacing and exceeding their prior populations.

If you have ever lived where there are no coyotes, the deer overrun areas, destroy vegetation, and become ill and malnourished. As with everything, coyotes (predators) have an important role in the ecosystem.

Yep, they can become a problem. On the Mississippi river, right in between the Quad Cities, there is Arsenal Island. It is a military base, and a lot of the local deer, fleeing city folk, have ended up on that island, since there is a lot of land. Every couple of years they do a special hunt on the island to thin down the herd, because there is not a single predator out there.

Coyotes are important, but there's more than enough prey this year, so I'll just keep up with scaring them away from the house. Unless, of course, one can manage to catch and eat the damn ground squirrel who lives under the deck and taunts my dogs.

21 Aug 2010 20:54 - 23 Jun 2013 17:37 #20 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Coyote concerns

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds