CO State Trooper Jaimie Jursevics Killed by Alleged Drunk Driver

16 Nov 2015 18:22 - 16 Nov 2015 18:22 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Affidavit: Retired Army colonel drank at Broncos game before killing trooper
Trooper Jaimie Jursevics joined the Colorado State Patrol in January 2011
By Jesse Paul, The Denver Post
Posted: 11/16/2015

Colorado state Trooper Jaimie Jursevics stood along Interstate 25 late Sunday, waving a flashlight to summon a suspected drunk driver to the shoulder.

While a witness watched and listened from a car behind, Jursevics screamed as she was hit by the pickup truck, according to an arrest affidavit. Her flashlight tumbled through the air as she was thrown onto the roadway in Castle Rock where she lay without a pulse.

Several miles away, the driver of the pickup, retired Army Col. Eric Peter Henderson, was arrested after investigators say he answered an officer's questions through glassy eyes, slurred speech and the smell of alcohol.

"I killed a cop," Henderson later told detectives through tears, according to the affidavit released Monday.

Jursevics, who joined the Colorado State Patrol in January 2011 and began working at the agency's Castle Rock office in 2014, is survived by her husband and 8-month-old daughter, according to a GoFundMe site .

Driver arrested in death of trooper is retired Army colonel
by Chuck Hickey
November 16, 2015

OFFICER DOWN!

Please donate to the Flying Wheels Foundation ! We need your help to take care of the family of Colorado State Trooper Jaimie Jursevics. She lost her life in the line of duty on 11/15/15 @ 8:40 PM while investigating a crash on I-25 @ Tomah Rd. in Castlerock Co.

Trooper Jursevics, age 33, is survived by her husband, and 8 month old daughter.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Nov 2015 08:45 #2 by Jukerado
Another senseless death, another family destroyed, another child left motherless, another servant taken from our community ... all because of the self-absorbed ignorance of another flaming asshole.

Perhaps this time, the D.A. can disregard this retired colonel's prior good deeds and mete out the proper punishment. Perhaps Henderson will get more than 10 days in jail as Blair Gledhill did. Perhaps the Colorado justice system will draw a firm line that vehicular homicide will not stand in this state. We can only hope.

Turn off your phone, don't drive drunk or stoned, slow down, respect the lives of others. It's not that complicated. We must ask ourselves how we could possibly live our lives knowing we killed someone's child by our own arrogant stupidity.

Trooper Jursevics, thank you for your service. We are diminished. :flag:

19 Nov 2015 09:00 - 19 Nov 2015 09:01 #3 by Jukerado
If anyone missed it, a gofundme page has been established for Trooper Jursevics:
www.gofundme.com/trooper-jursevics

Bail was cut in half, and Henderson bonded out this morning for $50K. DA argued against it.

The facts seem pretty clear. Trooper Jursevics was killed almost instantly when Henderson mowed her down in his drunkenness. He was pulled over several miles away.

"Henderson was arrested for vehicular homicide, failure to remain on scene, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol and careless driving resulting in death.

Henderson is due back in court on Friday for the formal filing of charges."

www.9news.com/story/news/crime/2015/11/1...oper-wreck/75996362/

Like Henderson, I'm a veteran. I've never been arrested or charged with anything. However, my stellar citizenship - just like Henderson's - shouldn't exonerate me from facing the music if I choose to drink and drive and destroy someone's life. Drinking is ALWAYS intentional. There's no such as accidental drinking. He endangered any person on the road that night, everyone he would encounter on his merry way. In those seconds, all that matters is that he was a killer who was out of control.

I'm a forgiving man, but forgiveness doesn't mean we should not be held to account. I would place money on the defense's argument - stellar military record, no prior bad acts, wonderful individual, credit to his race, never do it again, really sorry, he's learned his lesson, prison won't bring back Trooper Jursevics, why destroy more lives, ... we'll see just how far the cited charges will be reduced.

23 Nov 2015 08:10 #4 by MountainTownAlerts
Rest In Peace Trooper Jursevics. :rose:

Per @CSP_News: Traffic Alert: US 285 and Hampden btwn. Kipling and Colorado will be affected due to the procession for Fallen Trooper Jursevics. 9:30-1:00.

23 Nov 2015 08:25 - 23 Nov 2015 08:27 #5 by MountainTownAlerts

11 Jan 2016 08:42 #6 by Jukerado
" ... Henderson is facing three felony counts -- vehicular homicide while under the influence, hit and run with a death involved and tampering with evidence. He was also charged with two counts of DUI.

Brauchler told Denver7 none of the charges require mandatory prison time, meaning if Henderson is convicted, he could be sentenced to as little as probation only or up to 25.5 years in prison."

www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news...imie-jursevics-death

12 Jan 2016 22:17 #7 by ScienceChic
I'll be stunned, and it would be a grave injustice, if he didn't serve time in prison for this.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Jan 2016 07:35 #8 by Jukerado
Ditto.

And it's disturbing to read that vehicular homicide while DUI doesn't require mandatory prison time.

14 May 2016 17:01 #9 by Jukerado
I missed this update in March. Henderson plead not guilty. What a man.

Trial set for July 25.

www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news...per-jaimie-jursevics

Attachments:

18 May 2016 14:50 #10 by Mountain-News-Events
Man accused of driving drunk, killing CSP trooper reaches plea
Posted 8:12 am, May 18, 2016, by Chuck Hickey

CASTLE ROCK, Colo. -- Eric Henderson, the man accused of driving drunk and killing a Colorado State Patrol trooper in November, has reached a plea deal with prosecutors, the 18th Judicial District Attorney's Office said Wednesday.

Henderson will appear in court at the Douglas County Justice Center on Wednesday afternoon to formally enter a guilty plea. He will be sentenced at a later date.

The district attorney's office has not said how much prison time Henderson is facing under the plea. He was looking at more than 25 years if he were to be convicted of all the charges.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jukerado

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds