Winter Driving

27 Nov 2015 12:33 #1 by Jukerado
Winter Driving was created by Jukerado
As winter has finally arrived, I thought it might be helpful to have a thread regarding winter driving - tips we should all remember and hopefully share with those who have moved here from warmer climates.

1. Stop tailgating. Ever. It's against the law, for one thing, and the person in front of you probably won't get over or speed up because you're being an a-hole. The law is one car length per 10mph. So at 30mph, you should be able to fit three cars in between you and the person you're tailgating. In snow and ice, double or triple that. Not tailgating is also an excellent way to avoid getting shot.

2. When you get a green light, wait a few seconds and make sure the cross traffic isn't sliding through the intersection. Stay alert, stay alive.

3. At red lights and stop signs, consider the possibly that you might slide through. Adjust your speed and braking distance accordingly.

4. Stop driving like an idiot. If you're late, it's your own dang fault. Don't endanger other people because you're a poor planner. Stop being a d-bag and pretending you're a wonderful giving person when the reality is you're a terror on the road.

5. Hang up that frickin' cell phone. There is no call that is worth someone's life.

6. If you tailgate a snowplow/gravel truck, like the idiot woman I saw yesterday in the black BMW, wipers at full speed, car being peppered with gravel and ice melt - prepare to be mocked. You deserve every single thing you get.

7. Stop driving stupid. Can't say that enough.

8. Remember that a good percentage of the drivers around you are stoned or drunk. Walk half a mile on any road up here and count the beer cans and liquor bottles. It's a real eye-opener.

9. For crying out loud - stop driving a snow tank. Clear more than the driver's side of your windshield. Failure to do so identifies you as an import. Snow piled on your hood is going - Bueller? Bueller? - right up on your windshield.

10. Carry supplies in your vehicle at all times. These include, but are not limited to: blanket; bottled water; a couple of granola bars; a snow shovel; a good flashlight; snow brushes and ice scrapers; extra gloves; and a couple of boards to put under your tires for traction if and when you spin off the road. No matter the weather, you should never get in your car without a good waterproof jacket and a bottle of water.

11. Just because you have AWD doesn't make you bulletproof. Not to sound sexist, but it is my considered opinion that the worst drivers up here, without comparison, are women in AWD SUVs. It's a hard truth, and I know plenty of women who agree.

:happysnow:
The following user(s) said Thank You: intheaspens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Nov 2015 13:44 #2 by intheaspens
Replied by intheaspens on topic Winter Driving
Good stuff! I'd add a couple more:

1. Try to scan in front of you beyond the end of your hood. If you look ahead at least a 1/4 mile you won't be surprised by that guy going 20 mph with the trailer!

2. Keep you vehicle in good repair. Tires, wiper blades, brakes, fluids. It takes a lot less time/energy/money to keep the vehicle in roadworthy condition than it takes to waste your time/energy/money on a tow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jukerado

28 Jan 2016 09:43 - 28 Jan 2016 09:43 #3 by Jukerado
Replied by Jukerado on topic Winter Driving
A few years ago, we started tarping our vehicles when snow and ice are coming. It was my wife's idea, and I can't say enough good things about this procedure.

Get a tarp (10x12, etc.) at Harbor Freight or Ace. I use a 12x17 on my F150. Add bungee cords to the four corners, and crimp the hook through the grommet with a pair of pliers. (Otherwise you may well lose your bungee cords in the snow.) If you park outside, throw the tarp over your vehicle when you get home, and hook the free ends of the bungee cord to your tires, fenders, running boards, etc.

In the morning you can knock the snow off with a push broom, or just unhook the bungees and pull the tarp loose, and your windshield/hood/side windows are free and clear.

This only takes a couple of minutes and saves a lot of time scraping away ice and snow.

05 Feb 2016 09:40 #4 by RJ
Replied by RJ on topic Winter Driving
LOL! I actually laughed out loud at the "snow tank" one. The little eye hole in the ice. Yeah, people should definitely take the time to be safe!! Thanks for posting this!

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds