Amazon to start collecting sales tax in Colorado Feb 1st

15 Jan 2016 12:37 - 15 Jan 2016 12:38 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
FYI, you might want to use those gift cards you received for the holidays in the next 2 weeks!

Amazon to start collecting sales tax in Colorado
Deb Stanley
10:41 AM, Jan 15, 2016

"Amazon will be required to collect sales tax in Colorado beginning on 2/1," an Amazon spokeswoman told Denver7.

The tax is calculated on the total selling price of each individual item, generally including item-level shipping and handling charges, according to Amazon's website.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2016 14:08 #2 by NeutralGuy
Just guessing this is not just Amazon but other online places is that correct?

I would not know how they could only make Amazon do it.

15 Jan 2016 14:24 #3 by FredHayek
Amazon since it is so big might have to do it sooner than mom and pop operations.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Jan 2016 11:56 #4 by NeutralGuy
Just an update the news this morning said this is something Amazon has decided to do it is not a Colorado requirement.

Only other comment they made was maybe Amazon was considering opening a store in Colorado but they could not confirm it.

28 Jan 2016 21:26 #5 by Rick
Well that sucks. They may want to cut the cost of Amazon Prime by 50% or so, otherwise they'll be sorry when they lose my business! :)

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

29 Jan 2016 10:49 #6 by archer
It's not as bad as it sounds, they have been collecting tax in AZ for a couple years, it is the state sales tax only, not the local/city sales taxes. It only applies to shipped items by Amazon, items shipped by other suppliers that don't have a physical presence in the state don't incur sales tax. At least that has been true in AZ. It is still far less than what would be collected by a local store. And for those of us living in the middle of nowhere in Creede, CO.... Amazon is our only option for a lot of things. I try to buy locally for whatever I can, but the selection is limited in a small town.

...... Amazon junkie :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked

29 Jan 2016 17:32 #7 by Rick
Hey Archer, long time no see. Yeah I'm cool with it actually, the convenience and lower prices are worth an extra 2.9 percent. I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner and now expect this trend to spread.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds