Site Upgrades Starting 1/26

25 Jan 2016 12:10 #1 by ScienceChic
Hey Everyone! I don't know if you noticed the announcement at the top of the forums, but we're hoping to start our site upgrades tomorrow sometime. We will have to take the site down for a bit to install some updates so please pardon the inconvenience we'll be causing. If you have any trouble seeing the site, logging in, or posting, please message us on our Facebook page , Twitter account , email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or call 720-608-0285. (as a reminder on logging in issues, please don't try to enter a failing username or password more than 4 times or the system will flag you as a spammer and block you completely from accessing the site. Click the "Forgot Password/Username link to get an email with a new password or username hint, or call me please if your email address has changed so we can update that manually and you can receive the email with the new password. I know it's a pain, and I'm so sorry for that, but we get over 150 hacker attacks/day and blocking their IP addresses once they've tried repeatedly entering password combinations is the best way to keep them at bay).

There are some new features in the updates we'll be installing; I'm geeked about showing them off to you all! For example, our Profile Pages will now look like this with a canvas photo available at the top for you to load your favorite picture in:

You can upload photos or create photo albums on your Profile Pages too, plus still write blog posts and connect with others!

Yes, we will also be updating our webcam pages (finally!) to include all of the area CDOT webcams as well as the 2 brand new ones we've installed (one's still a secret that you'll find out when we go live with our new webcam pages)! :) After that, we'll have the most comprehensive webcam pages anywhere around - one place to see everything you need!

There are more exciting things in the works - stay tuned!! By the way, the ballots are out in this week's issue of The Flume for the 2016 People's Choice Awards. As in past years, this is a mail-in only ballot so you have to get a copy of the paper, fill it out, and mail it back in by Jan 29th. Don't forget to put MyMountainTown.com as Best Local Website! :coolwink:

Thanks!
Sharon & Your My Mountain Town Staff

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jan 2016 12:28 #2 by HappyCamper
You know me I can't wait for the webcams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

26 Jan 2016 19:20 #3 by ScienceChic
Progress report! If you haven't noticed it, at the top we are now an "https:" website - there's an SSL certificate installed on the site so we're a little more secure.

We had some interruptions that put us a little behind schedule today, but the newly upgraded, mobile-responsive Community Event Calendar page is up! When you go to that page, use your mouse to grab onto the right-hand corner of your browser window (click and hold down when it shows it as a double-headed arrow), then drag the browser window toward the left. You'll see how the calendar shifts to fit the screen and changes view from monthly to daily and the menu at the top disappears (it gets put into the 3 bars at the top right-hand corner). At it's smallest, this is the view you will now see if you look at the page on a mobile phone (and the ads are now moved to the bottom of the screen). There's a "medium" view for tablets as well. So instead of having to "pinch" and "blow up" the calendar with your fingers to fit a tiny screen, the software modifies the size for you automatically. Cool, huh?!

We're still tweaking the side rotating ads and Categories list placement so it's not finalized. Some of the changes will be affected by the changes we have yet to make in the main menu bar along the top (which is now blue).

More to come!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

26 Jan 2016 20:09 #4 by ScienceChic
Ta-da! New mobile-responsive forums! Do the same thing with your browser as I described above grabbing and squeezing it down to see what it looks like moving from a desktop size to a mobile device size. (Or you can just check it out on your phone or tablet to see what it automatically formats to now).

We'll be testing for glitches, but if you find anything that doesn't work, please let us know. Thanks! Have fun playing otherwise! :)

26 Jan 2016 20:34 #5 by HappyCamper
I would be happy to test from my phone but since I rarely use my phone if you would tell me what to do I will.

26 Jan 2016 20:49 #6 by ScienceChic
Just try logging in and posting HC! I'll try uploading photos and videos, and playing around with the bbcode. Thanks!

27 Jan 2016 06:22 #7 by HappyCamper
Ok, if I get a few minutes this afternoon I will.

Just a comment when on recent topics the "New Post" indicator on the topics is kind of small for us old farts to read :biggrin:

27 Jan 2016 08:41 #8 by ScienceChic
Thanks!

I saw the "1 New post" link had changed last night and sent that task reminder in already. :) Did you like it as an orange box or would something else be better?

It was easy to do a new post on my phone, but the bbcode box was tougher to use. I'll find out if that can be made a little bigger for fingers to accurately hit smileys and such.

Today is the more complicated stuff. I expect that the forums will be down today for a bit as the back-end software is updated. Please forgive us for any inconvenience!

27 Jan 2016 09:58 #9 by HappyCamper
I did like the orange

27 Jan 2016 10:34 #10 by HappyCamper
Posting from my phone cool!!

:mane: :godenver:

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds