BLIZZARD DRIVING TIPS for those new to our Mountain!

31 Jan 2016 07:56 #1 by deanteamtoo
First Blizzard drive here? May I share with you a few tips? UPSLOPE, HIGH WIND, RAIN FIRST!
These terms were used and they mean that the commute Monday and Tuesday are going to be downright dangerous. If you can stay home, STAY HOME! There is a possibility of road closures so throw a toothbrush and a credit card in your car. I even bring change of clothes and PJs in case of getting stuck below. Make sure you have back up plan concerning kids and pets. Charge up devices and bring contact numbers. TOP OFF GAS TANK and fluids. Leave EARLY for work and use the bathroom. Desperate drivers become dangerous. The left lane is for passing regardless of sun and snow so pass who you need to and then go back into right lane not to clog up 285 which causes more problems. If you do not own a great snow car with great tread, carry chains. You may be called to stop, start, pass, back and go around stalled cars. If you MUST leave your vehicle, watch out! Drivers watch out for people outside their vehicles. Check traffic conditions before leaving or coming home. Use your low gears, slow down and leave space between cars. Be patient ! It is going to be a slow drive and it has taken me more then 5 hours. Don't forget your emergency kit. I carry food, water, flashlights, glow sticks, sleeping bag, warm socks and shoes etc. know alternate routes and drive them on sunny days so you know them. Know hotels down below. I want EVERYONE to get home to their loved ones and mean no offense to anyone. Please feel free to add the tips that have gotten you home safe. Take care all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Jan 2016 08:35 - 09 Apr 2019 20:43 #2 by ScienceChic
Great advice, thank you deanteamtoo!

Some other good tips I've seen mentioned, or that I'd add myself, include:
  • Fill your bathtub with water if you are on an electric well so you can use it to flush the toilets
  • Ready-to-eat food, or food that doesn't require cooking if your power goes out. You don't want to be opening the fridge any more than necessary.
  • Make sure to take your full medication bottle(s) with you in case you don't make it home and have to spend the night in town
  • Take extra food/snack bars - especially important if you are a diabetic
  • Extra water for in the car - you'll get thirsty before you get hungry if you become stranded
  • Make sure you are stocked up on pet food and litter. Have arrangements made with your neighbors if you can't make it home to take care of your pets, and offer the same for them. Check on your neighbors (especially the elderly or disabled) if we all get snowed in!
  • Keep a shovel and sand or cat litter in the car (you can try using car mats for traction too)
  • Pack extra clothes for yourself and the kids (I had to spend the night at a hotel in town once thanks to the weather and we had nothing spare. Really could've used that toothbrush deanteamtoo recommended as well) :)
  • Blankets, flashlights, flares - all the things that should be in an emergency roadside kit
  • Car charger for your cell phone if you don't already have one
  • Not as critical, but have a deck of cards or board games to entertain the family if the power goes out and you're stuck home. Have some good books to read! It's a lot more fun passing the time playing games than staring at a blank TV. :)
Any others y'all would add?

Colorado Winter Weather Awareness and Travel Safety
Winter Weather Travel Safety

Edit to add: I would be remiss in not posting reminders to check our Emergency Page , our Local Weather Forecast Page updated daily by the fabulous Chief Meteorologist Steve Hamilton, our Hwy 285 Webcams Page, Hwy 285 Jefferson to South Park Webcams Page, Hwy 73/74/I-70 Golden to Evergreen Webcams Page[/b,] and I-70 Evergreen to Eisenhower Tunnel Webcams Page plus you can Follow us on Facebook and Twitter [/url] for additional info we don't always share here. Did you know you can share all those pages with your friends and family on your social media pages just by clicking the Share buttons on the right? We appreciate it so very much when you let others know that they can find useful info right here on My Mountain Town! :) Thanks!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 Jan 2016 09:16 #3 by HighHome
per CDOT:

285 S
US 285 Southbound / Northbound Hwy 8 to Park County Line (Milemarker 250-228)
Passenger vehicles are required to have snow or mud/snow tires, use chains/alternative traction devices, or a 4WD/AWD vehicle. Restriction began January 30th, 2016 at 8:33pm.

The semi in Bailey had chains, right??

31 Jan 2016 17:09 - 31 Jan 2016 17:13 #5 by Jukerado
Here's one. Tailgating is one of my pet peeves, and has grown exponentially worse with the influx of those from other states who are flocking to the Denver utopia. And it only gets worse when the weather turns.

That person in front of you is important to someone. They're a grandmother, father, caregiver, son, daughter ... take your pick. As drivers, we have NO RIGHT to tailgate someone. It amounts to menacing and intimidation. Treat other drivers with respect and back off. If you're a poor planner and running late, it's your own fault.

On a happier note ... hooray, no cyclists on the roads!

p.s. The emergency tips are top notch. There are plenty of folks who weren't here for the big storms, such as Christmas '87 and spring '03. We were stuck in CO Springs for that first one, since I-25 was closed down. The next day it looked like a used car lot, with dozens and dozens of cars buried in snow on the sides of the highway. In '03, it took six days for the first plow and front loader to get up our canyon. It really does happen.

31 Jan 2016 17:40 #6 by otisptoadwater
Make sure you have more than enough time to get where you need to go. If you don't need to go stay home. Shiny side up, rubber side down. Don't drive any faster than you can see. If you're scared by the time you get down to the end of your driveway then stay home.

:snowflake: :snowfalling :snowblow: :happysnow:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

09 Apr 2019 20:35 #7 by MountainTownAlerts
NWS_Boulder: What do you do in a blizzard? Avoid travel if at all possible (starting Wednesday afternoon). If you must travel, be prepared by taking a winter survival kit, having a full tank of gas, and notify someone where you're going.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds