Chickens have completely stopped laying...

05 Feb 2016 09:38 #1 by RJ
Fellow Chicken owners,

I'm new to chickens, and I have a question for those of you up here who also have them. My three hens turn 2 years old in April, but they haven't laid all winter. They laid productively last winter, but haven't had a single egg this cold season. Is this normal? I've done tons of research online, but I thought I'd ask the mountain community, since we do have unique weather and elevation up here. I hope the girls aren't completely done laying forever...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Feb 2016 09:47 #2 by HappyCamper
Had a friend tell me that maybe the coop is not warm enough they may not start laying again till spring even if you warm it up a bit.

05 Feb 2016 09:51 #3 by RJ
That's kind of what I was wondering. They have a heat lamp, but it's been consistently cold this winter. I hope that's all it is, because I'd love to see eggs again this spring.

05 Feb 2016 13:24 - 05 Feb 2016 13:25 #4 by HappyCamper
Do you also own a Boston Terrier or did you just like the picture that you have on your profile?

Friend also to me to tell you to make sure your chickens are getting the right amount of calcium because if that is too low the shell of the egg can not form and or it will be very thin.

05 Feb 2016 13:32 #5 by RJ
I do own a Boston! The picture I put up isn't mine, though. I couldn't get mine to sit still for two seconds to get a decent picture, lol. It looks like you've got a Boston too? They're amazing dogs. I think I'll always have one.

That's great advice about the calcium! I looked into it just now and read something about ground oyster shells. I'm going to run to Big R and buy some. That might help. All I've given them up til now has been layer feed, but maybe they are short on calcium. Great advice! I'll definitely post here if/when I get eggs again. Fingers are crossed.

05 Feb 2016 14:54 #6 by HappyCamper

RJ wrote: I do own a Boston! The picture I put up isn't mine, though. I couldn't get mine to sit still for two seconds to get a decent picture, lol. It looks like you've got a Boston too? They're amazing dogs. I think I'll always have one.

We own 4 dogs one being a Boston she is a crazy dog love her to death she is 9 and acts like a puppy.

05 Feb 2016 15:56 #7 by RJ

HappyCamper wrote:

RJ wrote: I do own a Boston! The picture I put up isn't mine, though. I couldn't get mine to sit still for two seconds to get a decent picture, lol. It looks like you've got a Boston too? They're amazing dogs. I think I'll always have one.

We own 4 dogs one being a Boston she is a crazy dog love her to death she is 9 and acts like a puppy.

Yeah, mine is 8 and I can hardly keep up with him.

05 Feb 2016 18:02 #8 by ScienceChic
Welcome to the site RJ, it's nice to see you jumping right in! :)

I asked a friend of mine who has also raised chickens up in Conifer, and she said that the length of daylight will affect their laying. That and they go through a 2 year molt apparently, and all the protein that normally would be used for eggs goes to re-forming their feathers instead. She said to be patient and they should start laying again when the days get longer. :) I definitely recommend the advice HappyCamper gave as well - extra warmth helps, and additional calcium will make their shells harder which is very helpful if you ever want to sell them.

Keep us posted and good luck!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Feb 2016 19:03 #9 by RJ
Thank you so much for looking into it for me! I hadn't heard of the two year molt, but that actually makes a lot of sense based on the timing! That's really good news. I'll definitely post when they start laying again and let you know what happens.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds