Denver Post Tweet: Park County Deputy Dead

25 Feb 2016 15:38 #11 by Mountain-News-Events

Park County Democratic Party
February 25, 2016
PRESS RELEASE CONCERNING WEDNESDAY’S TRAGIC DEATHS IN PARK COUNTY

I am deeply saddened by the loss of life in Park County on Wednesday. Not only was a father and law enforcement officer killed while two other officers were wounded, a man who had lost all hope also lost his life.

My prayers are with the friends and families of Park County Sheriff’s Officers Nate Carrigan, Kolby Martin, and Mark Hancock, as well as the entire law enforcement community and all whose lives they touched. I also send my deepest condolences to the friends and family of Martin Wirth.

This was a difficult day for me. I was deeply saddened upon learning of the death of the Corporal and the injuries to two other officers, becoming horrified when I discovered I had met Wirth in 2014 and had tried to better understand his foreclosure and property ownership issues.

That year, I facilitated communications between peaceful Foreclosure Resistance members, associates of Mr. Wirth, along with Sheriff Fred Wergener. It was the sheriff who ultimately allowed Wirth additional time to uneventfully move following the loss of his home. I also enabled talks between reporters of the local newspaper, the Flume, as well as Wirth. I was genuinely surprised to learn he had moved back to the property after news of the shooting occurred. Though I was not well acquainted with Wirth, I had spoken with him several times that year and he was seeking election to the State Senate.

Foreclosure and Eviction from your home, for whatever reason, is a deeply personal and terrifying issue. Among other things, Wirth charged that the bank foreclosing on his home was ineligible to do so and this is still, today, a scene repeated regularly around the country. I have discussed it with politicians ranging from the sheriff and my local county commissioner, eventually testifying at the state legislature and working with members of Congress. It is continued fallout from the 2008 financial crisis.

The Sheriff’s Department was clearly aware they were faced with a difficult situation when enacting the eviction. They put their lives on the line every day over issues that most people will never consider to be dangerous until something like this happens. It only seems important if you are personally involved with these situations.

It is my sincerest hope that everyone facing such a crisis has or can get some network of support. My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Officer Nate Carrigan. Praying Officers Kolby Martin and Mark Hancock make fast and thorough recoveries.

- Dennis Obduskey, Chairman, Park County Democratic Party

www.facebook.com/groups/ParkCoDems/

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Feb 2016 17:27 #12 by Jukerado
Martin Wirth had not lost hope, nor did he lose his life.

He decided long ago that he was above the law. While others honor contracts they sign - even if it means working three jobs, tightening their belts, and sacrificing to pay the bills - he chose instead to join groups that are proponents of not having to honor their obligations, and who cry victimization. A sense of entitlement run amok.

He did not mince words about his hatred of our law enforcement officers, in public, in the media, and in print. He had recently stated he was going to kill the first cop he saw.

He knew the Park County sheriff's were scheduled to finally serve an eviction for his illegal, unlawful occupation of a dwelling he no longer owned. He was armed and ready. He planned the murder of our peace officers. He did so willingly and with cold calculation and premeditation. He was willing to throw away his life while completely disregarding the damage he willingly forced into the lives of his victims' families.

His choices are without excuse and cannot be explained away. His name should not even be mentioned in the same paragraphs as our fallen officers.

Wirth did not lose his life. He threw it in the garbage. He gets no tears from me, and he will not be missed.

26 Feb 2016 17:41 #13 by ScienceChic
I agree with you - I don't believe he lost hope either, though I can't say for absolute certain. What is a fact is that the Foreclosure Resistance members had pulled their support of him, indicating that he had pre-meditatively chosen to not go peacefully, and he had stated publicly that he was going to kill any cops who tried to come remove him.

There is a right way and a wrong way to protest against injustice and wrongdoing. Violence is never the answer and the choice he made I completely abhor and condemn. A whole community is irreparably harmed due to the actions of this one individual, and I for one will focus from here on out supporting those who need to heal. I won't even do him the honor of naming him, he deserves no further recognition.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Feb 2016 21:25 #14 by Ashley
I probably shouldn't post as all of it is still too raw. I knew all the parties involved. Martin more as an acquaintance. He stood for what he believed in. I find it tragic though the choice he made when there could have been other alternatives utilized. I believe he lost all hope.

With all the foreclosures and people not working or working several jobs to make ends meet, we will see more foreclosures and loss of hope by some in the future. Hopefully none resulting in a tragedy like this one.

The tears haven't stopped for Nate. His work is done. I will take his joy and love of people and life and apply it in my own. We were blessed by a remarkable young man. Prayers for his family and our community. Prayers for Kolby and his family. And prayers for Sheriff Wegener, Captain Hancock and our LEO while they work through their loss and also assess how to keep our Officers safe.

RIP Corporal Nate Carrigan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

26 Feb 2016 21:27 #15 by ScienceChic
Posted by Catrina on the CBP group : Help us show our love and support tomorrow at 10:00 we will be meeting at the Bailey loaf n jug to line 285 and friendship ranch with blue flags and ribbons. We have 1,000 plus blue stake flags please bring ribbon if you have it, and heavy duty staplers as well. Small cash contributions are appreciated to help cover the minimal cost of the flags. For those that are unable to meet tomorrow we will also be meeting Sunday at 1:00 same place.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Feb 2016 21:33 #16 by ScienceChic
I'm sorry for your pain Ashley. The sorrow of this event has touched so many.

I appreciate what the Foreclosure Resistance group is trying to do, there are far too many people whom the banks have taken advantage of and it's not right. That being said, as you stated, there are alternative choices to make to fight those battles. It's a shame he couldn't find the help he needed to find a better solution and it came down to this.

28 Feb 2016 15:00 #17 by MyMountainTown
Funeral scheduled for slain corporal
Ana Campbell, KUSA 10:46 AM. MST February 28, 2016

ARVADA – The funeral for Park County Sheriff Corporal Nate Carrigan is scheduled for March 14 at 11 a.m. at Faith Bible Chapel, in Arvada.

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

28 Feb 2016 17:24 #18 by Mountain-News-Events
From the Park County Sheriff's Office:
February 28th Update

Memorial Services for Corporal Nate Carrigan will be on March 14th at 11:00 am. The location is the Faith Bible Chapel, 62nd & Ward Road in Arvada, CO.

Nate has been continually watched over since he was killed. I would like to thank the Hartsel Fire District, Jefferson/Como Fire District, Northwest Fire District, Platte Canyon Fire District, Colorado School of Mines Police Department. and the Colorado State Patrol for watching over Nate.

This is a very rough time for our community and the Park County Sheriff's Office. We would like to express our sincere thanks and appreciation for all of the heartfelt expressions that were received from all of you. Sheriff Wegener and I both drove down to visit Captain Hancock he is doing well and I was happy that his entire football team visited him at his home, and ate a lot of pizza. We are so very pleased that Master Patrol Deputy Kolby Martin has been moved out of ICU to a regular room and is doing well and in good spirits.

Our residents have probably noticed that there have been; Chaffee County, El Paso County, Jefferson County, Summit County, Fremont County, La Plata County, Colorado Springs Police Department, Buena Vista Police Department, Fairplay Police Department, Alma Police Department and Colorado State Patrol, cars patroling Park County.

I was in Fairplay during this trajic incident. I had been monitering radio traffic. When this event happened my gut response was to drive to Bailey as soon as I could. However, in the same moment I had the realization that we had resources at the scene our folks were in good hands, being cared for, and the threat had been eliminated.

Immediately I began to look the logistics of the situation and and how we were going to cover shifts as almost one half of our patrol division was injured or had been placed on administrative leave.

I was joined by Captain John Luption, Colorado State Patrol and Sheriff John Spezze from Chaffee County. Both of these men tied themselves to my hip and would not leave me. Our neighbors to the north, JeffCo informed me that they would take calls for us in the Bailey area. I continued to receive calls for several hours from law enforcement agencies offering assistance.

These true friends & law enforcement professionals, worked into the late evening hours scheduling their staff to work for our citizens and our community.

I would like to express my sincere appreciation and gratitude to: Sheriff John Spezze, Sheriff Jeff Shrader. Sheriff John Minor, Sheriff Bill Elder, CSP Major Copley, CSP Captain John Luption, (a logistical genius) Chaffee County Communications, Sheriff Jim Beicker, Sheriff Sean Smith, Chief Pete Carey, Chief Jimmy Tidwell, Chief Joel Vice, Chief Greg Kimsey and Colonel Scott Hernandez for patroling our county and keeping our citizens safe during this time.

I would also like to offer heartfelt appreciation to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the 11th Judicial District Attorney's Office and Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms for conducting the crime scene investigation.

Park County Communications did a fantistic job during this crisis. They were crying and emotionally devistated when radio traffic indicated Nate had died, however, you held it togather and did your job. We are so proud of you.

Jacki Kelley and Susan Medina for handeling media relations when Sheriff Wegener and I were unavailable to do so.

We appreciate that all of you have kept Nate and all law enforcement in your hearts and prayers.

Undersheriff Monte Gore

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

28 Feb 2016 20:48 #19 by Mountain-News-Events

Attachments:

02 Mar 2016 18:32 #20 by Mountain-News-Events

There is now a Remembering Cpl Nate Carrigan-Memories and Photographs Group on Facebook that is administered by his family for those who knew him to share tributes, photos, and personal stories.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds