A new look at fire in the 285 corridor

02 Apr 2016 12:18 - 02 Apr 2016 12:19 #1 by JeremyAllen
Hello all.

As I am between jobs, I am brushing up on my statistics and data visualization skills. I downloaded fire data from the U.S. Forest Service and made this interactive dashboard to illustrate fires in our community. The dashboard contains four graphs which are also interactive.

This is just a proof-of-concept for me. If this kind of thing is interesting to members here, then I will try to get all the relevant data and update this dashboard. Your thoughts and criticism are welcomed.

Here, http://www.eighteenchains.com/285-fire-data

:loveMMT:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Apr 2016 12:45 #2 by ScienceChic
I love this "Fires in Colorado's Hwy 285 Corridor 1980-2014" map, thank you for sharing them with us here Jeremy! Did I see somewhere that you'd put one together for tornados too?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Apr 2016 12:52 #3 by JeremyAllen
I did a map of the tornado data, too. I shared some of these on Facebook last week. The interest there prompted to do this improved fire dashboard with better visualizations for the fire data. You can get to all of them in blog at eighteenchains.com.

I hope that by linking to them here I will get some more feedback. Once I do, I plan to get more data and fine tune the fire dashbaord as I improve my skills. Then I'll start looking for more projects that will be of interest to the 285 community.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

02 Apr 2016 19:19 #4 by Arlen
There appears to be a dramatic drop off in fires after 2005.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds