Coney Island Hot Dog Stand in Bailey Sold to Local Resident

16 May 2016 06:32 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Posted in the Kickstarter Campaign by John Wallace, the new owner of the Coney Island Hot Dog, who hopes to raise $10,000 by June 11 (to date, $3,260 is pledged). They hope to open by mid-June:

We have purchased the iconic Coney Island Boardwalk Hot Dog Stand in Bailey, Colorado, and intend to restore it to its former glory.

The Coney Island Boardwalk, was built in Denver in 1966. Its designer, Marcus Shannon of Lakewood, Colorado, planned a chain of hot dog diners and filed a patent for the design in 1965. The building was originally located on West Colfax in Denver. Since 1970, The Coney has been on scenic US Highway 285, first in Aspen Park and now in Bailey. This iconic eatery has been hailed as "the best example of roadside architecture in the state" by Thomas J. Noel, a Professor of History and Director of Public History Preservation and Colorado Studies at the University of Colorado.

My family, who may or may not be certifiably crazy, recently purchased the Coney. Hopefully we are crazy like a fox as we plan to restore the diner not only to its former glory, but into a modern family-friendly destination complete with gourmet hot dogs.

Gourmet hot dogs? Absolutely, and a gourmet hot dog starts with the dog, brat, or frankfurter which is why we have chosen Continental Sausage, a Colorado institution since 1969. Continental purchases raw beef and pork from quality suppliers who do not use antibiotics or growth hormones to raise their animals. Their suppliers also process and raise their animals under humane growth and slaughter conditions, further protecting their customers from foodborne outbreaks and antibiotic resistant bacteria. Continental Sausage products are truly all natural.

We also whole-heartedly support the "Locavore" movement. We will feature local vendors, such as Elevation Ketchup, Merf's Mustard, and Rocky Mountain Soda. Similarly every effort will be made to seek out and procure the freshest local produce and potatoes, which will be fried up in the delectable "pomme-frites" style which originated in Belgium.

Thank you in advance and we look forward to meeting you all.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/783368281/c...island-hot-dog-stand

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 May 2016 14:07 #2 by Mountain-News-Events
Hot Dog! Restaurant Family Purchases Coney Island in Bailey
by Mark Antonation
Monday, May 16, 2016

A Kickstarter campaign was started by John D. Wallace last week to raise $10,000 for contingency funds for the restoration and reopening of the iconic eatery.

According to the campaign, Wallace and his family are longtime restaurant people; Wallace was the original owner of William's Tavern at 421 East 17th Avenue, and his father built a Lum's Restaurant at East Evans Avenue and South Monaco Parkway in 1969.

The Kickstarter campaign has already raised more than $3,200 with 26 days remaining...Rewards for donations run from free chili-cheese fries at the $10 level up to the "Jet Setter" package at $1,000...

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

18 May 2016 07:29 #3 by FredHayek

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

31 May 2016 18:26 #4 by Mountain-News-Events
Coney Island Hot Dog Stand to Reopen This Summer
by Camila Navarrette
May 31, 2016

Coney Island Boardwalk Hot Dog Stand, a familiar site to many mountain goers, is set to reopen under the guidance of John Wallace and his family in June, according to Dining Out . An Aurora native, Wallace aims to eventually operate the spot as a German-style microbrewery - but promises to pair the beer well with the dogs.

At the new and improved Coney Island stand, Wallace will serve a variety of gourmet hot dogs, brats, and frankfurters supplied from Continental Sausage in Colorado. The future menu will be stacked with original creations like the Durango Dog, an elk jalapeño dog made with cheddar and topped with poblano-corn-caramelized onion relish and chipotle sour cream, along with Coney Island-style classics.

Coney Island Boardwalk Hotdog Stand is located at 10 Old Stage Coach Road in Bailey, Colorado.

Coney Island Hot Dog Stand to Return This Summer
With gourmet dogs and local toppings
By Maya Silver

Here’s what you need to know about the future new and improved Coney Island Hot Dog Stand.

A colorful history
This eye-catching hot dog-shaped stand wasn’t always nestled in Bailey’s trees. It actually got its start on West Colfax in Lakewood, Colorado in 1966. Marcus Shannan had originally designed the stand to be the first of many and filed for a patent in 1965. In 1970, the stand was relocated to Aspen Park.

31 May 2016 20:58 #5 by otisptoadwater
I am a huge fan of quality meats in tube form! I'll pitch in a few bucks and cross my fingers that you have a successful launch. It would be great to have a go to spot on the way up and down the 285 corridor!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

01 Jun 2016 06:58 #6 by FredHayek
Continental is a good company and have some interesting offerings. :goldtrophy:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds