Salute to Inter-Canyon FPD

23 May 2016 08:14 - 23 May 2016 08:17 #1 by Jukerado
Yesterday my wife and I were outside and heard sirens down the canyon on South Deer Creek Road. The sirens stopped and it was obvious something had happened close by, so I drove down there. This isn't a "wow, I'm such a great guy" story - I'm just writing that little prelude because I was an on-the-scene outsider with a first hand view of what was happening.

It was a single vehicle accident; an SUV had flipped onto its roof in the creek at the Sampson Road turn. There were two firefighters already on site, and many more followed shortly thereafter.

For the next 20 minutes or so I had the distinct privilege of seeing our Inter-Canyon Fire Protection District in action. An edited training video couldn't have been as sharp and precise as these fine men and women. The creek is narrow and deeper where it passes beneath Sampson Road, so the wheels of the flipped SUV were just beneath the plane of the road - not much working space.

Chief Skip Shirlaw was already in the creek helping a woman who was obviously injured. It's entirely possible she could have drowned if he wasn't there supporting her against the truck. He had complete control of the scene. As Jeffco sheriffs and ambulances arrived, the chief directed tasks to each responder with calm precision as the injured woman was strapped to a board and passed up out of the creek. This was no easy thing to do, as the vehicle was close to the creek overpass and the door was wedged partially open. Everyone knew exactly what he wanted done as Chief Shirlaw looked them in the eyes and gave precise commands.

It was awe-inspiring to see. Most of us have been in accidents - the wreckers arrive, the scene is cleaned up, the injured are transported to hospitals and the doctors and insurance agents step in. And far too often the folks who really save the day don't get nearly the credit they deserve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 May 2016 16:17 #2 by ScienceChic
Thank you very, very much for saying this. You are right, far too often our first responders, many of whom are volunteering their time, don't get the credit they deserve for all that they do day in and day out. It's nice to read ICFPD doing a great job! I've been impressed the couple of times I've talked with Chief Shirlaw, and Dan Hatlestad, their PIO. Both are consummate professionals who are doing a bang-up job keeping the community informed of what's going on. I add my kudos!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds