Questions on Guanella Pass development

17 Jul 2016 18:48 #1 by Jukerado
I have no skin in the Guanella Pass game. We've enjoyed several trips up and back on the Grant side, our last trip being late last year. But, I'm wondering if someone can answer these questions. Consider me one of those grumpy mountain yokels who rarely equates "new" with "improved", and I'm always concerned when "they try to tear the mountains down and bring in a couple more" million idiots.

1. The homes and ranches on the "Grant" side have enjoyed their solitude and seclusion for quite some time. Was any input sought from those landowners? And if so, what was their opinion on having a new high-traffic road through their area?

2. The last two times we were up, the facilities at the Mt. Bierstadt parking area were almost beyond description. I've seen cleaner toilets in the back alleys of Nuevo Laredo. With the exponentially increased traffic, is any measure being taken to maintain those toilets?

3. The new paved road is certain to be a mecca for motorcycles and the 'Fast & Furious' crowd. Is an increased police presence part of the new plan?

4. Was an environmental impact study done with regards to the wildlife and livestock in the area?

5. Every road that's been paved to increase traffic flow has brought increased garbage and litter. Who's being tasked to pick up the roadsides?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jul 2016 21:00 #2 by FredHayek
If I remember correctly, the residents and businesses on the Grant side fought paving for decades. Worried horses and riders would be killed by fast cars. Looks like they were overruled.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jukerado

20 Jul 2016 21:50 - 20 Jul 2016 21:52 #3 by ScienceChic
I can't speak for the entities that were involved in this process (which was lengthy and took considerable effort, according to more than one presenter at the Grand Re-Opening Celebration ), but after driving it, I myself would not call it a "fast" road - it's still twisty and windy (long i, not short) and impossible to go more than 15 in many places. Yes, it would be beautiful to travel by motorcycle but considering the abundance of wildlife (we watched a marmot that darted out in the road in front of the car in front of us and narrowly escaped being flattened), you'd have to have a death wish to ride it fast - one bighorn sheep around a blind curve is seriously going to ruin your day.

Yes, environmental impact studies were conducted. They did not review their results for the ceremony, I can only assume that they took them into consideration when engineering the road.

No one mentioned litter or facilities clean-up; I would hope that is happening. If our regular highways are any indication, it will probably be individuals or organizations who take it on as volunteers.

My bigger concern is the number of campfires happening up there. A lady who is running for Park Co Commissioner posted last week in one of the local FB groups that she went up the weekend before (right after all the fire bans were enacted) and confronted a dozen people who had campfires burning despite the fire ban. Not one made a move to put out their fires, one knew about the ban, one said ParkCo was allowing fires, the rest challenged the news or denied they were even in Park County ( Clear Creek County has Stage 1 Fire Restrictions as well, and it sounded as if from her post that none of these fires were in acceptable permanent fire grates). This level of ignorance, arrogance, and outright carelessness is frightening, especially with the recent reminder of the Cold Spring Fire and loss of 8 homes and pets due to those campers who incompletely extinguished their campfire).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds