Hurricane Harvey

24 Aug 2017 19:21 #1 by ScienceChic
Hurricane Harvey was created by ScienceChic
I first saw this on Twitter yesterday and it caught my eye because this meteorologist said "I don't normally ask for RTs (re-Tweets), but if you know people in Texas, please warn them." I do have friends in TX so I did, and have been watching it develop since. I'm sure our Chief Meteorologist has some thoughts, but here's a few posts from Eric Holthaus who caught my eye with that warning. This sounds like it could be really bad (and btw, the pumps weren't working in New Orleans last I heard and the edge of this could catch NO too). :(

Per @EricHolthaus Hurricane Harvey is expected to be the strongest to hit the U.S. in more than a decade.

Meteorologists are calling #Harvey’s rainfall forecast in Texas “unsettling” and “borderline unfathomable”:
#Harvey could bring up to four feet of rainfall to parts of the Texas coast — a full year’s worth of rain in 5 days.

Randy Bresnik‏ @AstroKomrade 2 hours ago
God Bless Texas, may you weather the storm as you always have!

grist.org/briefly/hurricane-harvey-could...ry-in-over-a-decade/
grist.org/article/a-texas-size-flood-thr...d-were-so-not-ready/

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Aug 2017 20:04 - 24 Aug 2017 20:06 #2 by Chief Meteorologist
MMT Chief Meteorologist Steve Hamilton, here. Thanks for posting this Sharon. Harvey is a CAT 1 hurricane as of Thursday afternoon, 8.24.17. We are expecting it to strengthen over the next 24 hours and become a "major" hurricane (sustained winds of >110 mph). Based on Hurricane Hunter flights, and forecast model analysis, Harvey should make landfall around midnight Friday night, Mountain Time. Hurricane and Storm Surge Warnings are posted from Galveston to Brownsville TX. Landfall is anticipated just south of the Galveston TX area. After landfall, Harvey's winds will quickly diminish to a tropical storm strength. However, the storm is expected to linger over the TX and LA coast causing catastrophic flooding.

As I see it, the main issues with this storm will be storm-surge and flooding. Of course, wind damage will occur, especially on the north side of the storm. The expectation is that Harvey will linger over the TX and LA coast for a few days, with rainfall estimates of 15 - 25 inches between Friday and next Tuesday. The National Weather Service calls the flooding "devastating and life-threatening". That is no joke, and nothing to fool around with.

If you live along the TX coast, move inland as soon as possible. There is little chance of surviving the expected storm surge, especially on the outer islands from Galveston southward to Corpus Christi. Flooding will be a major problem even many miles inland due to heavy rainfall. Long term power outages can also be expected. If you are planning to stay in your home, you should have at least 7 days worth of food and water, a battery-operated radio with spare batteries or a hand-crank radio, flashlights, a way to keep your mobile phones and devices charged, and first-aid kits. Please, do not try to ride this storm out if you are within 10 miles of the coast. The National Hurricane Center has updated information every few hours at National Hurricane Center www.nhc.noaa.gov . I will have more updates and details for you as well.

25 Aug 2017 13:04 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Hurricane Harvey
HappyCamper found this live video feed:

#Harvey search filter on Twitter

Our Chief Meteorologist was interviewed by SkyNews in London this morning about Hurricane Harvey! You can see it on our Home Page in our Twitter feed at the bottom.

NHC_Surge‏ @NHC_Surge 6 hours ago
What does the @NWS forecast of 6-12 ft of storm surge flooding from #Harvey mean? For reference, the ceiling at our office is 11 ft. @NOAA

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chief Meteorologist

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds