Elk Creek Fire Department Chipping Program

28 Sep 2017 20:10 - 29 Sep 2017 09:58 #1 by ZHawke
Elk Creek Fire Department was back today to finish up the chipping they couldn't get done the last time (yeah, we have a LOT).

In talking with Jayson and Dave, they decided to go ahead and block two felled trees we've had in our driveway for awhile now that I thought (and dreaded...I'm OLD, don'tcha know) I'd be blocking up for firewood. This small act meant more to me than they realize, and this is just one part of why I'm promoting these guys as much as I am. Elk Creek Fire, as it is with virtually all fire departments, have a mission that goes far beyond the perception of many folks out there regarding what they do, and/or what they "should" be doing.

I haven't seen a copy of the Elk Creek Fire Department charter (someone made a comment on another page that their charter is to fight fires, not engage in forestry), and couldn't locate it on their website. I did, however, take a look at everything they do provide on that site, and there's a whole lot of information on other activities besides fighting fires....a good thing from my perspective.

If people are already aware of what I'm about to say, my apologies. If my comments help any others to better understand why it is so critical for this service to be offered, then my advocacy for this chipping program and my advocacy for Elk Creek Fire will have served a positive purpose.

Elk Creek Fire District helps "protect" homeowners within their district. That includes both mitigation and preparedness activities. These kinds of activities are two of the four phases of emergency management. As first responders, their participation in emergency management activities is critical from a much broader perspective than just fighting fires, though. That would fall under one of the other phases of emergency management called "response". The last is "recovery", and we all know how much recovery can cost homeowners if they lose their homes, or their homes are damaged as a result of a forest fire.

We live in a "Red Zone" in this fire protection district. There have been multiple posts on many social media sites about difficulties associated with acquiring homeowner insurance policies because of fire risks in this zone. By doing fire mitigation, including chipping slash, we're not talking solely about forestry. Nor are we talking solely about fighting fires. Those two things really do go hand-in-hand.

Their website also details boundaries of the fire "protection" district. Protection doesn't mean solely protection during a response. it also includes helping homeowners protect their property beforehand by being proactive rather than reactive when it comes to fire mitigation and defensible space planning and implementation.

I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing here. This information isn't new. It isn't something I came up with on my own. I have no ownership of it. I've simply chosen to try, to the best of my ability, to be proactive in fire mitigation activities, and to try and provide readily available resource information on how others can do the same.

A visit to their website for those interested in more information on Elk Creek Fire Department is definitely worth taking the time to do so . elkcreekfire.org/

I believe in this chipping program. I believe it is of incalculable benefit to the Elk Creek Fire Protection District residents. I believe it needs to grow with demand. I've been told it will, but only if enough homeowners use the service.

Pass it along to friends and neighbors, and, by all means, consider using it yourselves.

A huge thank you to Jayson and Dave for doing what you do!

For anyone interested in this chipping program, please take a look at their website and give Jayson a holler:

elkcreekfire.org/information/community-chipping-program

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds