KDVR: Foothills Fire Chief Interview on Lack of Snow

11 Jan 2018 14:39 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Colorado needs snow for all kinds of reasons besides skiing
Posted 5:50 pm, January 10, 2018, by Zora Stephenson

EVERGREEN, Colo. -- Snow totals at ski resorts across the state are below average for this time of year. The lack of snow doesn't just affect ski trips; there are long-term issues to be aware of as well.

The foothills and parts of the mountains are filled not with snow or ice but dry shrubs.

“It’s very concerning,” Foothills Fire Protection District Chief Brian Zoril said. “I would say this is the driest conditions we’ve seen since probably 2001-2002.”

“We’re way behind on our water input right now,” Allen Gallamore with the Colorado State Forest Service said.

He said fire is just one issue to worry about when it comes to lack of snow.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds