Dreaded Road Rage: Hartsel to Denver & In-Between

17 Feb 2018 09:14 - 17 Feb 2018 09:15 #1 by DDawg
Hey guys and gals, I haven't been around in awhile, hope everyone is hanging in there with such a turbulent culture/society these days. I got a huge promotion at my job last May and it took and flipped my working hours a complete one eighty so yea, it's interesting but pretty great. I was working till late at night and now I work really early in the day and am off by mid afternoon. It allows me to spend more time with my wife and get errands done so I can't really complain. Well, at least not about work, money or what have you. That brings me to the root of this thread, and I'll be blunt. The road rage I'm becoming a victim of seems worse than ever, and now even my wife is being targeted regularly on 285 and others and I'm not even close to kidding when I say that she's a model driver. I may have my shortcomings sometimes, and I have the humility to say that I've pulled some jerk moves once in awhile, but I'll be damned you guys, my wife told me a story the other day about a guy in a Jeep basically trying to kill her. What the hell is going on? Am I exaggerating? Has the road rage always been this bad? Feel free to reply with your own encounters (minus too much identifying info for legal reasons), or just spit ball with me about possible reasons, solutions etc. Is it the mass influx of out of staters? A good friend of mine that I made over the fall that moved here from "Philly" thinks that's a good one, but yea man, what's up? Stay safe out there and calm down a little bit! Work, groceries, your newborn grand kids or whatever will be there whenever you get there.

-Smokey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Feb 2018 10:04 #2 by ScienceChic
Congrats on your promotion Smokey!

I don't drive 285 every day like I used to, but I never saw it being as horrible as others made it out to be. Not to say that it doesn't have its issues, because I've certainly seen jerk drivers and unsafe drivers on occasion. I have watched as complaints about road rage have been made on other sites around the area, and I agree that with increased numbers of people moving here it has, and will continue to, make the problem worse. Especially if CDOT doesn't do something about the safety and congestion issues on 285 sooner rather than later.

All I can recommend for advice is for you and your wife to keep being as safe as you can be and if you encounter a driver doing something unsafe, call CSP and report them. If they have troopers in the vicinity who aren't tied up on other calls, they do try their best to make it to the scene as quickly as possible.

Dial *CSP (*277)
To Report An Aggressive Driver
www.colorado.gov/pacific/csp/report-aggressive-driver

When observing an aggressive driver that is putting other motorists at risk, the aggressive driver should be avoided by getting out of the way, not making eye contact or giving any indication of disapproval of their driving behavior. Contact the CSP as soon as is safely possible and be prepared to provide the following information: vehicle description, license plate number, location and direction of travel, driver description, and the aggressive driving behavior being demonstrated.

Give the dispatcher the exact location (road and direction), a description of the vehicle, and the manner in which the vehicle is being driven. Do not attempt to follow or pursue the vehicle. Your call is free and may save a life -- or many lives!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

17 Feb 2018 16:38 #3 by DDawg
One thing I find that works is turning all three of my mirrors "out" so I'm not hyper sensitive. Keep a steady pace and only adjust my side mirrors before I get to bottlenecks.

Coincidental you mention calling the five oh, I've only done that once in my life I think cause most of the time I figure they'll get pulled over after they finally find a way to get around, and that's happened. I've pulled off onto the shoulder n whatnot too. It's a gamble.

My new friend from Philly was really stuck on the idea that so many people from different states makes the driving here really harsh. There's no medium to anything, it's an extreme on one side or the other on the spectrum. I just know it really, really really really sucks!

-Smokey

30 May 2018 15:57 #4 by DDawg
Witnessed a Subaru get into a "debate" with a Swift truck at the bottle neck leading down to the Loaf across from the cemetery (more or less). Needless to say the Suby probably has brake fade from avoiding the merging semi lol.

Saw a guy in a Silverado jerk the wheel towards a Jeep Liberty in the straight away towards the old Green Valley Bar. Guy in the Jeep was parked on his rear bumper in the left lane and went to go around in the right and Chevy wasn't having it. No accident but close.

Had a guy parked on me from Pine Junction to Shaffers Crossing, couldn't even see his headlights he was so close. Doing sixty (it's 45-50 through there) and got the single finger salute when he finally went screaming by me at the two lane split.

HELL YEA!: Going to work at four o'clock in the morning the other day and had the above happen (it's really an every day affair on that stretch) and at the split dude/gal/whoever went screaming by just to get lit up red and blue where the giant rooster is just around the corner. They pulled over at Kings Valley. Not sure how much I woulda spent on that entertainment but it woulda been worth every penny.

-Smokey

17 Jun 2018 09:50 #5 by DDawg
Recent incidents and this article had me thinking....

www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news...n-aggressive-driving

-Smokey

17 Jun 2018 13:16 #6 by ScienceChic
More people means increased tempers, frustration, and bad choices. Choices have consequences.

A few days ago, we were sent a DM from a lady who asked us to share this message:

"Any chance y’all could put a post up reminding folks that those of us that live on the 285 corridor (mainly Conifer thru Bailey) have to get on and off 285 every day to get to work, get our kids where they need to go, grocery shop, etc...? Not to mention our teenaged drivers whom are learning to drive and navigate this very busy highway. Seems like the thru-traffic isn’t very courteous nor patient with those of us who live here in the mountains. It would be greatly appreciated!"

---
Life is a journey, please let's all remember to be kind to our fellow travelers in life.

Kyle Clark covered the road rage incident and made some very pointed, obvious statements regarding personal responsibility. The first 3:30 of this video cover it:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds