Important Message from Principal Slocum/Schmidt Regarding Student Walkouts

13 Mar 2018 23:38 #1 by Mountain-News-Events
Emails sent earlier this evening:

Good evening PCHS students and families:

Given the recent event in Florida, I want to make sure that you are aware of an upcoming event. According to social media messaging, it appears that there is a major student-led effort to protest violence in schools scheduled for tomorrow Wednesday, March 14th.
In several areas across the country, students will stage a walkout at 10 am. We have received no information from any of our students that anything is planned here; however, at FMS, it has been indicated that a few of our 8th grade students are planning to participate. Certainly, it is possible that some of our students may choose to participate as well.

Our District supports students’ Constitutional rights to peaceful assembly and free expression. Our goal in responding to walk-out plans and other forms of peaceful assembly is to try and keep a focus on teaching and learning while providing guidance and support for our students’ and staff members' safety.

As a precaution, our teachers have been provided guidelines clarifying their roles during a student walkout.

At Platte Canyon High School, our top priority is to support the academic and social emotional needs of our students while maintaining a safe and orderly learning environment for all. We respect and support the right of our students to advocate for causes that are important to them and welcome the opportunity to work with any student or student groups to discuss appropriate ways to do so while at school.

I encourage you to talk to your child(ren) about how they may be feeling about the issues surrounding this school walkout and the importance of expressing themselves in appropriate ways at school. It’s important to know that disorderly conduct that disrupts school operations is not acceptable and will be handled compassionately but firmly in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct.

Thank you for your continued support of Platte Canyon High School and please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Mike Schmidt, Principal, Platte Canyon High School
Ginger Slocum, Principal, Fitzsimmons Middle School

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds