Shooting Range in Harris Park Cleanup /\!TODAY!/\

31 Mar 2018 07:40 #1 by DDawg
As my name suggests, I live up in Harris Park and thought I'd share this article from Denver7 this morning. As much as all the non residents really make me mad with their thoughtlessness, it's not just non residents destroying the shooting range up here unfortunately. I'm an avid pistol shooter that stays away from it completely but I think I'll go up and try and help out a little bit. Please, if you have used the HP shooting range at all, consider coming up and helping too. I'm not sure who's volunteering to take all the waste but I have a dumpster at my job that I have permission to throw a reasonable amount of stuff in on Monday, so I can load the back of my 4Runner. Spread this around if you would and have a good day. Oh, sorry for not being around if peeps have shouted at me, been extremely busy. Latah.

www.thedenverchannel.com/news/foothills/...-park-shooting-range

-Smokey
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Mar 2018 09:20 #2 by ScienceChic
Thank you Smokey for offering the use of your dumpster! There's a breakfast at the Harris Park Community Center right now too so you can fuel up before working hard to clean up. :) A huge thanks to everyone who's out there!

mymountaintown.com/community/calendar/ev...t-gun-range-clean-up

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

01 Apr 2018 21:17 #3 by Mountain-News-Events
Posted by the organizer, Jim Brown:

Shooting range wrap up: I really want to thank everyone that showed up to work at the shooting range this morning. I was amazed by the turnout. Normally when 25 people say they will show up for something only 10 or less actually appear. This was a great group of people. I was remarking to my wife that everyone was so friendly and outgoing that it made the task even easier.

I hauled off 117 bags of trash in my trailer along with piles of wood, boxes, targets, TVs, etc. The other person with a trailer also had a pile. There were about ten pickups that also hauled away piles of bags. I would estimate that at least 300 bags of trash were collected and hauled away. This was an outstanding effort. My only regret was that we did not get a group picture to show the turnout. That is kind of hard to do when we are spread over several acres.

Channel 2 News interviewed numerous people and took a couple hours of film footage. Much of that will end up on the cutting room floor but I am sure they will get the point across. Be sure to watch Channel 2 on Saturday night and probably again on Sunday because they tend to rerun the human interest stories. Channel 7 and 9 both had 20 second blurbs on their news shows today with footage they shot yesterday of all the trash.

After today's excellent turnout I believe that is the cleanest that site has been in a decade. I am very proud of everyone! Pat yourselves on the back!

There were other people who said that about 100 people participated in the clean up - what a fantastic turn out!

These pictures were posted on our Facebook page by Erin Barrett:

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

07 Apr 2018 08:19 - 07 Apr 2018 08:20 #4 by DDawg
Holy cow, I knew we hauled some trash but DAYum! I tend to agree that the site is the cleanest it's been in a long time but it won't be long before it's gone again unfortunately. With that said however, I also agree about the community effort of it all. With everyone so seemingly politically divided these days, it really warms my soul when we can come together in such a large group for a common cause that's so important. I even made a couple new local friends when I was up there that had lived in the area for years in one case without making ONE friend themselves! Anyway, I'm headin to my "secret spot" to shoot a new pistol later and having the one new friend and his wife and kids over for a bbq after. Cheers.

-Smokey

07 Apr 2018 19:30 #5 by ScienceChic
That sounds like a great evening you have planned Smokey!

I don't know if you're part of the Harris Park group on FB, but right after the clean up, this was posted by Dylan Benner:

My company is personally going to sponsor the shooting range and I've been in contact with the US Forest Service law enforcement officer already we are going to install steel targets at fixed sights and arrange for an every other month clean up we will also with the forest service permission be placing signage to show the direction to the shooting range I fought fires in this area for over 8 years and worked out of the South Platte ranger district Buffalo Creek Workstation this is to my home as I live in Harris Park and this was the majority have the reason I chose to move up here so we will do everything in our power to keep this range open free to the public and maintained safely

It was heart-warming to see someone step up like that, and so many people show up for the clean up. Y'all are good peeps!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds