Park County Homes with no CO - Certificate of Occupancy

16 Jun 2018 17:41 #11 by LJ
I just reread if the sellers didn’t disclose this information on the Homes Disclosure sheet they are responsible. If DORA actually said that Realtors do not need to verify information they are flat out lying. The National Association of Realtors would pull both agents licenses. I spoke with DORA once they were not very truthful. I will be contacting the NAR on Monday about all of this. It’s an insult to honest sincere people. Enough is Enough people need to be held accountable and for most a Home is the biggest purchase they will make in their lifetime, which is not something to be taken lightly. Side Note: I asked one of the Realtors about Evergreen lake having been a Superfund Site, her response “ what’s that, I have never heard of it, we don’t have any here in Colorado”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jun 2018 12:33 #12 by AbovetheClouds33
Lj I sent you a private message.

We do not want to stay in the house. I am disabled. I do not need this stress, or aggravation. I have been sick to my stomach and my anxiety has been through the roof. We should not have to be dealing with this. It has been making my medical conditions worse. At my age and with my injuries I can not handle it. I do not do well with stress. Our main goal is to avoid foreclosure and just start over if we can. We are not feeling like that is going to be possible. We can't afford another house now because prices keep going up.

The house has been listed. It doesn't help that we have not gotten one phone call or showing. We have to sell the house as cash only as is because of this mess. We are trying to be honest and let people know we can't fix the house. Please don't ask us too, that is why we are selling. We don't have the money. I honestly don't know what it will cost to fix. We had several contractors come out here, and none of them followed up. We never received an actual estimate. I kept a list. The ones in summit county wouldn't even come over the pass. When you sell a house as cash you limit the amount of buyers. So this is hurting us. We know we have to disclose everything we know, and we are. We can not in good conscience do this to anyone else. This sucks, I can't believe their are evil people out there like this. I fell like its not our responsibility to clean up the previous owner's mess. We tried and tried with the previous owners and they told us to piss off. My hat's off to them for talking us for $270,000. Very hard lesson learned. People suck, and are dis honest.

The house was not a new construction when we bought it. If it had been a CO would have been checked for. Most people just assume an older home will have a CO. When we bought it, it was about 12 years old. What happened was the seller's were the owner builders. They built the house them selves with their own money. Then the county came out and said hey your house failed to obtain a CO. You need to fix these 7 items before one will be issued. Well they never did. I believe because they ran out of money. Why else would they then put the house in their children's name, file for BK and not disclose the transfer of this house? Because they owned it free and clear. It would have been seized to pay their assets. They had to sell their primary residence to avoid foreclosure, so they had no where to go and just moved rite in. Never did anything.

16 Aug 2018 13:17 - 17 Aug 2018 11:15 #13 by AbovetheClouds33
Unfortunately, we are now being threatened for speaking the truth and nothing but the truth. In order to make things easier for us, we have edited the post. Don't like being bullied.

20 Sep 2018 11:01 #14 by AbovetheClouds33
If anyone in Park County has purchased a home with out a CO knowing or not knowing, or has lost their home because of this issue can you please contact me. I would like to hear about your story and so would the local news station. Thank you.

20 Sep 2018 14:29 #15 by RunyanLegal
Do you know if the Seller's agent was aware of the lack of a CO ?

20 Sep 2018 14:53 #16 by AbovetheClouds33
The seller's agent has been very difficult and is playing dumb along with the sellers. So its hard to say 100% if he knew or not. The seller's agent did not contact the County prior to the listing or once under contract to verify any details of the house. (Well Permit # and Septic). The sellers were the owner/builders and signed a homeowner statement of responsibility prior to building to the house. How can they play dumb when everything was in their name?

It all comes down to where does the responsibility truly lie during these transactions. Everyone wants to point fingers but in the end the county knew about this for 15 years and did nothing. County has been collecting taxes for the past 15 years as if it had a CO. They claim the previous owners owe them $1500 in fines ($100 every year for no CO), but did not put a lien against this house to prevent it from being sold and putting us in this situation.

20 Sep 2018 16:53 #17 by HappyCamper
I really hope someone will read your post and be able to help you out.

01 Oct 2018 18:29 #18 by Mountain-News-Events
Colorado couple sold legally unlivable mountain home in alleged fraud case
By Ryan Luby
4:22 PM, Oct 1, 2018

FAIRPLAY, Colo. -- A Colorado couple says they were defrauded by the people involved in selling them their dream home by failing to disclose that it never received a final certificate of occupancy more than a decade ago. Now, they can't find anyone willing to buy it in Colorado's red-hot real estate market.

Several months after they moved in, they decided to do some small renovations. Upon checking to see if permits were necessary to do the work, a Park County Building Department worker delivered some sobering news.

"She's like, 'What are you doing living in this house?' I'm like, 'What do you mean what are we doing living in this house?' And she's like, 'Your house doesn't have a certificate of occupancy,'" Mansfield explained. "Come to find out, there's actually seven code violations that were never fixed."

Mansfield said the sellers, realtors, title company and home inspector involved either didn't care about, or didn't report, the problems.

"How does everyone involved miss this? Everyone involved," she said.

Read more at www.thedenverchannel.com/news/investigat...n-alleged-fraud-case

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AbovetheClouds33

01 Oct 2018 18:35 #19 by HappyCamper
Hopefully, this will help them get the issues resolved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AbovetheClouds33

10 Oct 2018 10:07 #20 by AbovetheClouds33
Thank you. We are not currently getting any where so we have set up a go fund me. If this is not the correct place to post please let me know and I will put it in the correct place.

Thank you again to everyone else who has offered suggestions and tried to help us.

www.gofundme.com/unlivable-mountain-home-fraud

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds