I-70 Floyd Hill to Veterans Memorial Tunnels Planned Improvements

20 May 2018 10:56 #1 by Mountain-News-Events

I-70 Floyd Hill to Veterans Memorial Tunnels Improvements

In summer 2017, CDOT and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) began phase two of studying and planning improvements on westbound I-70 from Floyd Hill to the Veterans Memorial Tunnels. Among the improvements being considered: increasing travel-time reliability, increasing capacity on the highway, replacing a deficient bridge and improving the geometric design of the interstate.

This stretch of I-70 is one of the most congested locations on the westbound I-70 mountain corridor. High-traffic volume on I-70 west of Denver has led to ever-increasing periods of slow traffic, which, at times, approaches a gridlock situation. This area also is heavily impacted by adverse weather conditions.

This is CDOT's plan to ease congestion on your mountain drive
In the meantime, CDOT is proposing an $80 million plan to create a peak-period shoulder lane on westbound I-70 from the Veterans Memorial Tunnels to Empire.
Author: Noel Brennan
Published: 5:59 PM MDT May 15, 2018

KUSA – It’s a memorable part of the mountain drive for all the wrong reasons. You’re cruising along with three westbound lanes until you hit that curve at the bottom of Floyd Hill.

“You have to narrow to two lanes and then traverse this sharp corner at the bottom of the hill,” said Michael Lewis, executive director of the Colorado Department of Transportation.

Lewis joined other transportation leaders and local elected officials Tuesday to talk about plans to improve a congested stretch of the busy interstate. CDOT held the press conference below the bridge at the Interstate 70 and U.S. 6 interchange.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2018 11:23 #2 by Mountain-News-Events
There is a public meeting tomorrow night starting at 5:00pm at Clear Creek High School & Middle School, 185 Beaver Brook Canyon Rd, Evergreen CO 80439 on this project, please attend if you can!

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds